• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
It sounds like a very similar situation, anyway. Though desktop hardware and systems are much more robust, you get a similar trade off. With Windows, you get much more compatibility and power, but you get more bugs and place yourself at more risk. With a Mac, you give up compatibility and pay more for more stability and less risk (not to be confused with "bug free" and "no" risk).

Upvote 0
No I do think some of the blame falls on google. The app/wallpaper was downloaded via *their* market place, people trust it because googles name is behind it. They should have a mechanism in place to prevent outright fraud.

Now if you sideload (or use appbrain) thats a different story.

I am sorry I fail to see the logic here.

harmful products have been bought in large products from even places like walmart.

I don't see walmart getting sued because someone bought a hair dryer there and decided to use it in the tub...

"woops, this product contains lead paint, lets sue walmart!" :/

Upvote 0
Come on people lets be real..

Virus's and attempts to steal your personal info are *EVERYWHERE* and aren't going away.

If we are going to compare to apple, lets go ahead and compare to apple.

Android is a bigger platform so there is more incentive to attack it.

There is more variation, more models and more hardware.

More incentive to attack it.

As far as security goes, is iOS more or less dangerous?

think about the fact that apple restricts software which could open the iphone up more.

They discourage browsing around on the insides.

Average joe doesn't have the opportunity to learn what to look for.

People who want to hack soft/hardware are going to find a way to do it and your relying on apple to check everything.

Oh WAIT apple who has no experience with security hole's because they've never had to deal with viruses or malware in general?

I am sure they would recognize a virus right!?!

Upvote 0
I don't see walmart getting sued because someone bought a hair dryer there and decided to use it in the tub...

"woops, this product contains lead paint, lets sue walmart!" :/

That actually happens all the time. Anyone who sold a dangerous product (including the retailer and distributors) is potentially liable and plaintiffs almost always name everyone involved. That said, in many cases these defendants can get out of liability and have it passed back on to the manufacturer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones