• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Standardized form factor?

socceronly

Lurker
Apr 26, 2010
Along with Android being 'open', what about some standardized form factors?

Would this help the 3rd party market peripherials?

I hope Google, with the Nexy, keeps the form factor so that the Nexy 2 will be the same. That way we get more, and possibly more interesting devices from 3rd parties.

Not sure if form factor is the right term to use.

Reactions: load97
Well let's say you want to make a gaming pad for android phone(s)....

If there were some standards then a product like that could fit multiple phones, or the same phone one generation after another.

Yes there will be a nexus one with a keyboard. But will the future generations of those phones be completely different in shape ect... so that products you buy for one would carry over allowing 3rd parties to invest in creating such things.

Upvote 0
Well let's say you want to make a gaming pad for android phone(s)....

If there were some standards then a product like that could fit multiple phones, or the same phone one generation after another.

Yes there will be a nexus one with a keyboard. But will the future generations of those phones be completely different in shape ect... so that products you buy for one would carry over allowing 3rd parties to invest in creating such things.

Why not just make a Blue tooth game pad. I'm sure it would be a better option that can be used on an android phone ??

Me.. I would rather game on a big tv..

Upvote 0
Isn't the different form factors one of the things that is so beautiful about android? There are many things that I hate about Apple but one of the ones super high on my list is that there is only one model, a model which I'm really tired of personally. Sure you can get 8 or 16 or 32 GB or whatever but everything else is exactly the same.. who wants that? Before you know it, it's going to come down to make all the screens the same, same on screen keyboard, same sms program, same browser, and on and on. That's already available on the Apple product line..

More variety the better IMO.

Upvote 0
I am not saying all the phones should be the same, and we should have one... variety is fantastic.

What I am curious about is having some stability within a line of phones.

Droid 1 -> Droid 2 -> Droid 3 ect..

Nexus One -> Nexus Two ....

Upgrade the guts, but allow you to still use camera add ons, battery extenders, game pads, ect... who knows... from one generation to the next.

Most importantly it allows people to invest in the development of those products.

Maybe it doesn't matter cause you will just plunk the phone down on whatever and it will connect to it by wireless.

Anyway it was just a thought.

Upvote 0
I am not saying all the phones should be the same, and we should have one... variety is fantastic.

What I am curious about is having some stability within a line of phones.

Droid 1 -> Droid 2 -> Droid 3 ect..

Nexus One -> Nexus Two ....

Upgrade the guts, but allow you to still use camera add ons, battery extenders, game pads, ect... who knows... from one generation to the next.

Most importantly it allows people to invest in the development of those products.

Maybe it doesn't matter cause you will just plunk the phone down on whatever and it will connect to it by wireless.

Anyway it was just a thought.

OK I see now. Yes it would be nice, but they want us to spend money on new stuff so...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones