• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Star Trek Theme?

Okay, I have some goodies for all of you. I used to use "Pocket LCARS" on my Windows Mobile phones (it's a skin theme, and operates using Wisbar Advance Desktop "WAD2"). It was AWESOME, and incredibly customizable. But, my Windows Mobile 6.5 phone was just too sluggish, so I just upgraded to the HTC Incredible. The lack of customization (compared to Windows) is frustrating!!!

I am posting my old Star Trek sound files to get us started, as well as some old screen shots of my LCARS phone (and, a link to see a video, posted by the guy who developed the theme/skin). I will post off of my buttons, too (of course, they must be resized accordingly for whatever Android phone it's being used on. Very easy to do using Gimp).

Most of the buttons and sounds came with the CAB file that the guy sent me. But, as I said, it's very customizable using WAD2, and I made many of my own buttons and sounds. You could make indicator buttons change colors when you got messages, you could use different images for "normal" and "pressed" for all the buttons, etc. The docks would slide back and forth when switching pages, etc. You could assign sounds to ANYTHING you wanted, or multiple sounds (by writing scripts), make any shortcut button to perform any action you desired. Very cool. I miss it :( I read online that someone is trying to make a version of Wisbar Advance Desktop for Android phones (which would be the answer to all of this). He mentioned that he was just getting started back in February. Haven't heard anything yet.

See attached .zip file, and see "PocketLCARS" online to see a video.

**** Hmmm, Update: Can't seem to upload my Zip file.. it say's "missing security token". Is this a temporary technical problem on the site, or am I doing something wrong? ****

Reactions: Mischka7
Upvote 0
paulmz,
Will this be an app that we will be able to download onto the Android?

The main part of the theme will work just like the Android7 theme using perfectly sized images for Desktop Visualizer widgets. So, the LCARS graphics will be just that- graphics images for Desktop Visualizer.

If I get around to it, there will also be reskinned apps with either matching fonts or just black backgrounds to cover up the live wallpaper. There will also be a few different font packs with the LCARS font included that other apps, like ChompSMS, will recognize. It will be a bit of work to set it up. It will not be a simple loading theme or app. But it will also be pretty customizable.

Lockscreen and live wallpaper are coming along.

Upvote 0
I also posted this in the Lockscreen thread but thought I should throw it up here, too.

I'm not completely satisfied with it yet, but thought I would share:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm working on fixing the font so that the characters with curves on the top and bottom line up with the adjacent characters. Sad to say, this is how every version of this font looks- including the original Helvetica Ultra Compressed (which is produced by LinoType foundry!). I'm working on learning a font editor so it will look right with the LCARS layout.

So far it's just a wallpaper for the top bar, UFP graphic, and the text under it. The time, date, and battery are all Minimalistic Text widgets. I also have an unlock sound and, despite WidgetLocker's inability to produce a sound in a timely fashion, the one I use seems to work perfectly when the LCARS homescreen pops up after unlocking.

I still don't like the slider. Maybe because an actual Star Trek PADD wouldn't have a slide unlock but would have just a tap button instead. I may still make one like that, but I prefer how a slider is less likely to accidentally activate.

I will share files and such when it is perfected but would like to hear any ideas before making it final. (However... before anyone suggests it, I will NOT be using a Starfleet combadge insignia as the slider. If you're a Trekkie you'll understand.)

Also, if anyone can help me figure out how to make a Tasker profile that could show the weekday as a number in Minimalist Text (ie. Sunday = 1, Monday = 2, Saturday = 7) so that I can have a decimal value after the stardate digit. It's my own take on a stardate conversion... mostly because the actual stardate conversion is just impossible for practical purposes.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I also posted this in the Lockscreen thread but thought I should throw it up here, too.

I'm not completely satisfied with it yet, but thought I would share:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm working on fixing the font so that the characters with curves on the top and bottom line up with the adjacent characters. Sad to say, this is how every version of this font looks- including the original Helvetica Ultra Compressed (which is produced by LinoType foundry!). I'm working on learning a font editor so it will look right with the LCARS layout.

So far it's just a wallpaper for the top bar, UFP graphic, and the text under it. The time, date, and battery are all Minimalistic Text widgets. I also have an unlock sound and, despite WidgetLocker's inability to produce a sound in a timely fashion, the one I use seems to work perfectly when the LCARS homescreen pops up after unlocking.

I still don't like the slider. Maybe because an actual Star Trek PADD wouldn't have a slide unlock but would have just a tap button instead. I may still make one like that, but I prefer how a slider is less likely to accidentally activate.

I will share files and such when it is perfected but would like to hear any ideas before making it final. (However... before anyone suggests it, I will NOT be using a Starfleet combadge insignia as the slider. If you're a Trekkie you'll understand.)

Also, if anyone can help me figure out how to make a Tasker profile that could show the weekday as a number in Minimalist Text (ie. Sunday = 1, Monday = 2, Saturday = 7) so that I can have a decimal value after the stardate digit. It's my own take on a stardate conversion... mostly because the actual stardate conversion is just impossible for practical purposes.

Thanks!

I love it just the way it is. Could you post the wallpaper and the wltheme file? I would like to install it and hack on it a bit as well.

/Dave

Upvote 0
Reactions: mewikime
Upvote 0
what happens if you don't have these folders that the files need to be added to are on your SD card? Do you make new folders? It might be helpfull to put a document out that has more detailed step by step for those who are new to doing this type of thing to their phone. I would love to be able to have this on my phone but I am not at all familiar with how to do a number of these techniques "How to install LCars for Dummies"

Upvote 0
what happens if you don't have these folders that the files need to be added to are on your SD card? Do you make new folders? It might be helpfull to put a document out that has more detailed step by step for those who are new to doing this type of thing to their phone. I would love to be able to have this on my phone but I am not at all familiar with how to do a number of these techniques "How to install LCars for Dummies"

In answer to your question: yes, you create the folders if they are not there already.

I apologize... I thought I did a pretty good job of explaining how to get the theme to work in the "Lockscreens" thread. It is somewhat remedial in its execution, so I won't be putting out a document with detailed step-by-step instructions. I spend way too much time with these themes as it is.

Nonetheless, if anyone does have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones