• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stats on data sharing apps in the Play Store

svim

Extreme Android User
Dec 19, 2013
Illinois
https://blog.incogni.com/sharing-is-not-caring/

-- Since it is pretty much a given that our phones are so perversely effective at vacuuming up our personal data an article like this should not be a big surprise but there is a lot of insight about specific details. Keep in mind there is a subtle distinction between collecting and sharing data vs. just collecting data, and as the article also states, it's still a mystery as to just what these services are actually doing with our data. We can make guesses about some of that (i.e. selling out to data brokers, targeted ads, improving customer engagement, blah, blah, blah) but there's a lot that may never be revealed to us.

The funny irony is when I used my Thunderbolt, it had little to no background data going anywhere, and I never had a breach report.

Couple that to today, my A13 has only been active a little over a few weeks, and already my phone number was found on the dark web according to my identity protection provider.

But! Using a HTC Thunderbolt in 2022 is gonna get ya hacked! that was what they said! Wrong again!

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones