• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Still worth getting?

El Presidente

Beware The Milky Pirate!
Jan 3, 2011
Scotland
As title really, is this phone still good?

How is battery life (I know that will differ dependant on loads of factors), but in general, is it ok?

Any annoying quirks or issues with the latest updates?

My wife's Xperia Z is on its last legs and carphone warehouse are selling the S6 for £29.99 up front, £26.50 per month for 3Gb data and unlimited everything else. It's well within our budget so I think she wants to replace the Z with that.

She only uses her phone for the camera to take pics of our daughter and selfies, Facebook, and internet browsing so she doesn't need latest and greatest and the S6 looks to fit the bill.

It's the 32gb version and I know on release, you were getting roughly 23gb of usable storage out the box, what can she expect now after all the system updates etc (EU Unbranded)?

I have the S5, a pair of them, and there is nothing slouchy about that phone and both of my S5s have 6.0.1 on them, so the S6 should also.

and the S6 has to be the equal of it, if not better. has the faster processor and better graphics drivers.
any of the Flagship phones made in the last two years should be good.

however, I personally will NOT buy any phone that does NOT have a replaceable battery.
so, for what you just mentioned, you can get S5 phones all day long at decent prices, and in near new condition, and you can replace batteries any time you wish.

the S5 also supports a 64gB SD card.

https://swappa.com/ has a lot of phones that you can buy outright, and not be paying the carrier for those extra fees

I just don't like contracts...

Upvote 0
however, I personally will NOT buy any phone that does NOT have a replaceable battery.
so, for what you just mentioned, you can get S5 phones all day long at decent prices, and in near new condition, and you can replace batteries any time you wish.

The S5 isn't an option, no one does it under contract any more and we can't afford the initial outlay for a new one (I'd never buy a 2nd hand phone so that is out of the question too).

Not overly fussed about replaceable battery either, my last phone before this didn't have one, both of my wife's last phones haven't had them and it's never been an issue.

Re. the SD card, that's not overly important either, she'll literally only be installing nova launcher, the Kindle app and Facebook (if they're not preinstalled), the rest of the space will be for pics which we backup externally and remove every few months anyway.

Thanks though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones