• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Stopping BB v0.4 from Killing LauncherPro?

DGalt

Android Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2009
I think, because of it's memory management, BB v0.4 keeps killing LauncherPro on me so that when I go back to my homescreen, LauncherPro needs to reload itself.

Is there anyway to specifically exclude LauncherPro from being killed by BB? I know it's not another task killed b/c I don't have any others installed.

It's not just LauncherPro. I've tried ADW and albeit slightly better about it, it still happened. Recently, I tried just using the stock launcher thinking there's no way it would happen to it; it did.

I wonder if this is solely a BB issue, or just Froyo in general. I'm gonna flash Cyanogen ROM and see if it still happens.

Upvote 0
This may help, Try Autokiller from the market.

Autokiller is a Root app that adjusts the minium memory settings that Android uses as a guildline for when to kill applications. It isn't a task killer in the traditional sense since it just adjusts the thresholds at which android does what it does naturally, vs artifically force closing apps. Some ROMS (BB included I think) may adjust the min memory settings in an effort to get quicker speeds, but it can have an adverse effect if for instance your launcher keeps redrawing.

Upvote 0
This may help, Try Autokiller from the market.

Autokiller is a Root app that adjusts the minium memory settings that Android uses as a guildline for when to kill applications. It isn't a task killer in the traditional sense since it just adjusts the thresholds at which android does what it does naturally, vs artifically force closing apps. Some ROMS (BB included I think) may adjust the min memory settings in an effort to get quicker speeds, but it can have an adverse effect if for instance your launcher keeps redrawing.

From my understanding, that's exactly what's happening. BB v0.4 has it set so there is always 50MB of free memory.

Upvote 0
From my understanding, that's exactly what's happening. BB v0.4 has it set so there is always 50MB of free memory.

Yes but I'm not familar with exactly how it's keeping that memory free, Autokiller (or MinfreeManager is another app) manages the many different thresholds at which Android kills programs and what type of programs it kills. So you can keep memory free two different ways. First by say keeping "empty" apps out of ram, which are apps you aren't using but may use, they don't use battery or cpu cycles they just sit in RAM. Or you can free memory by killing content providers (like sync), background apps, and even the foreground app.

by say ensureing that empty apps get "killed" quickly say at 70 mb free, you are less likely to hit the much lower (like 30mb) threshold for background apps.

BUT!!! after some more research (via launcher pro forum and various dev IRC channels) I think the real problem is that Android doesn't handle multiple HOME apps very well, and handles proxy home apps (like quickdesk) even less.

Try this. Uninstall all home apps but LauncherPro, even the stock Launcher2, or at the very least remove all shortcuts and widgets from the other home apps, and see if that helps.

I removed ADW and Launcher2 and I haven't had a single redraw since then I installed quickdesk to test, and they began right up again, same with ADW.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones