• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stopping SMS and voicemail

phredog

Jun 16, 2012
Singapore
Back in the USA disabling voice mail, and text messaging was a matter of calling the carrier and arguing for 10 min while they tell you that you are nuts.

Here in Asia nobody likes voicemail so the carriers actively give out info about the USSD codes used to disable it. I do not know anyone who has it enabled on their phone.

There appears to be no way to kill SMS here. Is there a USSD code? I rooted my phone and uninstalled messaging. That finally silenced the barrage of SPAM. However I think I may still be billed for the undelivered messages when roaming.

I use the phone as a tablet only. Unfortunately data only plans do come with a number, but no air time. That is why they cost only $10 a month.

I found out that removing the telephony service is not a good idea. It stops data as well.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones