• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Storage space question

hdevine

Nov 28, 2009
I just put xtrROM 4.0.6.1 on my Eris and now I'm getting the "low space" notification. It says that I have 7mb left on my phone. I have 3.5 gb on my SD card. I had 4.0.4 on previously with the cache and apps on the SD card I had 4.5gb left before I did the wipe and install.

After I reinstalled my apps using Titanium Backup, I started getting the notification. I can't figure out why I'm getting it though. It almost appears like the apps may have gotten installed on the internal memory on the reinstall.

I first saved my SD card contents to my PC, did an SD card wipe, repartition, and made it ext3, then copied all data back. I tried running the apps2sd script via GScript and I get the following errors:

stderr: sys : not found
stderr: cannot create /system/etc/usersettings/conf/apps2sd_value: read-only filesystem
Market apps (.apk files) will be moved to the sd card, reboot phone for changes to take effect.

Any advice on what I should do here?
Harry

I haven't run a 2.1 rom in a couple of months, so don't really remember the process all that well now. I never had to run a script for a2sd though, it was always built in to the roms I used. Is that not the case for this one? Also, not sure if it is an option on the free Titanium, or if it even works for 2.1, but with Titanium Donate and 2.2, there are options to batch move apps to SD card.

Upvote 0
I just put xtrROM 4.0.6.1 on my Eris and now I'm getting the "low space" notification. It says that I have 7mb left on my phone. I have 3.5 gb on my SD card. I had 4.0.4 on previously with the cache and apps on the SD card I had 4.5gb left before I did the wipe and install.

After I reinstalled my apps using Titanium Backup, I started getting the notification. I can't figure out why I'm getting it though. It almost appears like the apps may have gotten installed on the internal memory on the reinstall.

I first saved my SD card contents to my PC, did an SD card wipe, repartition, and made it ext3, then copied all data back. I tried running the apps2sd script via GScript and I get the following errors:

stderr: sys : not found
stderr: cannot create /system/etc/usersettings/conf/apps2sd_value: read-only filesystem
Market apps (.apk files) will be moved to the sd card, reboot phone for changes to take effect.

Any advice on what I should do here?
Harry

What I would do is this: wipe data and start over with the ROM. After first boot, and after setting up your Google account info, install Titanium Backup. Then run the apps2sd gscript, see if you avoid any errors, reboot, and then restore your apps with Titanium. (You may also want to do the Dalvik cache to SD gscript, but that's up to you.)

This is how I set up xtrROM 4.0.6.1 and I had no trouble.

Upvote 0
What I would do is this: wipe data and start over with the ROM. After first boot, and after setting up your Google account info, install Titanium Backup. Then run the apps2sd gscript, see if you avoid any errors, reboot, and then restore your apps with Titanium. (You may also want to do the Dalvik cache to SD gscript, but that's up to you.)

This is how I set up xtrROM 4.0.6.1 and I had no trouble.

I pretty much did that earlier today. I did a full wipe, as well as the Dalvik cache and wiped the SD card. Then flashed the ROM. I then ran the apps2sd and cache2sd scripts and rebooted. Then I reinstalled all of my apps manually. I suppose the Titanium Backup step in your post would've been easier, but it was at the point where I was thinking I had double the data on the SD card, so I didn't mind my route. It didn't take me very long either.

So now I'm on the new ROM, all of my apps reinstalled, most of my data (I took the opportunity to only copy back data that I really needed, like photos, ringtones, etc). I have 138mb available on the internal storage and 6.77gb on the SD card as I type this.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!
Harry

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones