• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Strange messaging / people issue

In the last week when I look in the Messaging app I notice that some of the messages received are showing the phone number rather than the Persons name that the message is from, on the main overview screen.

If I then look in the People app I can see these people exist and their number is correct, however I can also see a secondary contact if I type their number which shows as (Unknown) with the same number.

I'm guessing this is why it isn't showing their name in messaging but I'm not sure why this has happened or how to fix it. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Karl
(HTC Desire S)

I've tried that and it doesn't make a difference if I turn everything off except for phone or gmail in messages, I still get some which are displaying the number and not the contact.

The weird thing is though there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. Some show the name, but some show only the number. Most of them are linked between phone/google/facebook etc.

This has only started happening in the last week!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones