• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stuck to my guns. My Behold II replaced with Samsung Vibrant

Got my call back and had a little chat with T-Mobile Corporate. Apparently there's no way out of the data plan, which is truly absurd, so to those of you who are trying to settle your past months' problems by getting a Vibrant without the data plan, it's a no-go. I'm pretty disappointed in this, and just had to waive the offer of full discounted upgrade they gave me. Unfortunately, I guess I'm just going to have to call it quits with T-Mobile when my contract is up.

I'm thinking about emailing them back and requesting a different CS representative. When pointing out a data plan was not required to use the phone she just repeated her flaw-filled statement again. Largely disappointing. Do you think emailing back corporate with the specific request of a different rep would make a difference? Paying $200 + $500 for the data plan is $700; the retail price phone costs $500 and my Behold cost me $150 when I purchased it. I could point out that if corp. could replace the Behold I have for a Vibrant (a $50 difference; nothing to them) for free and then also pay for the data plan, I would gladly accept the offer. But I still do NOT want the required Android plan that's just a marketing scam. I could also point out that the Behold $150 plus however much I have paid to keep that line alive over the year was a complete waste of money and disappointment because what I was told by T-Mobile was never actually put into action. T-Mobile has been a complete disappointment thus far.

I need some suggestions and advice. What do you guys think?

People like this bug me.

If you don't want to pay for data then get a dumb phone or switch to one of the red headed step child prepaid networks (boost) and get a crappy I9 for $350 or buy your phone flat out with no rebate and Tmobile will give you your data.

Don't tell me you are using wifi most of the time because your not unless you work at mcdonalds and are playing with your phone when your not supposed to (which honestly would not surprise me).

People like you are why many companies are now throttling their data.

Someone gets offered a $450 phone for free then wants to get $30 in data for $6??

My suggestion and advice?.........................GTFO.

Upvote 0
mwl1119, you are one ignorant fool. You do understand the data plan is simply done for money making purposes? A majority of users with the plan don't even use up enough data to make up for $30 worth of actual data.

Let me make a few things clear: I did NOT get offered a phone for free, and I never said I wanted $30 in data for $6. You sir, are misguided and confused. I suggest you check on the names of who is posting before you post.

Now moving on, the entire data plan is a sales gimmick. It fools, well, fools such as yourself into purchasing it. You should research up on T-Mobile and internet before you begin to speak about using data on a phone. The entire reason they offer a $1.99/mb plan (roughly 30 pages or so) is to encourage data users, even the light ones, to purchase the Android plan. If you think about it, using the same scale, the Android plan for $30 USD/mo. would mean a rough 15 mb. In case you didn't know, 15 mb can be filled up with a single video (granted, probably an HQ video a couple minutes long, but you get the point).

With all that said, please tell me why I would need a data plan when WiFi (which I am usually around; no I don't work at McDonalds, your workspace must a pretty crappy one if you don't have WiFi) would suffice perfectly fine?

Upvote 0
mwl1119, you are one ignorant fool. You do understand the data plan is simply done for money making purposes? A majority of users with the plan don't even use up enough data to make up for $30 worth of actual data.

Let me make a few things clear: I did NOT get offered a phone for free, and I never said I wanted $30 in data for $6. You sir, are misguided and confused. I suggest you check on the names of who is posting before you post.

Now moving on, the entire data plan is a sales gimmick. It fools, well, fools such as yourself into purchasing it. You should research up on T-Mobile and internet before you begin to speak about using data on a phone. The entire reason they offer a $1.99/mb plan (roughly 30 pages or so) is to encourage data users, even the light ones, to purchase the Android plan. If you think about it, using the same scale, the Android plan for $30 USD/mo. would mean a rough 15 mb. In case you didn't know, 15 mb can be filled up with a single video (granted, probably an HQ video a couple minutes long, but you get the point).

With all that said, please tell me why I would need a data plan when WiFi (which I am usually around; no I don't work at McDonalds, your workspace must a pretty crappy one if you don't have WiFi) would suffice perfectly fine?
They give you your discount upfront and charge you for data TO MAKE MONEY which is the whole point of a business right?

You don't want to pay for data? Fine. Don't take T-mobile's discount on your handset and get the even more plus plan.

It is called supply in demand nimrod.

$30 is......... scratch that WAS about the going rate for an unlimited data plan.

Now at&t and Verizon are capping their data and Sprint is throttling theirs.

How much do a pair of designer jeans cost in the store? $80+?

I bet they cost $2-$3 to produce so why can they sell them for $80?

SUPPLY IN DEMAND.

If you want a smartphone plan on paying for the data.

If you want to be cheap then get a Nokia Nuron and shut up.

Upvote 0
Ok TeleNubby, what exactly are you asking for? How did you get the Behold 2 for $150 without the android data plan?

Ok, I'll agree that the android data plan is a money making gimmick. Everyone who isn't trying to sell you that data plan will agree with that. That's the whole POINT. The android powered smartphone costs them alot more, both for the actual phone and because the average smartphone uses more data than the average data enabled smartphone.

Unless I'm missing something, if you paid $150 for the Behold 2 and don't have the expensive data plan, they should sell you a contract-free vibrant for $350 and your returned behold 2. Or a straight swap + the $30/month data with a 2 year contract. That's what the fair deal is here.

Upvote 0
Can someone tell me about the $500 they charged you initially? Do you have to pay it and wait for the credit later? I think I have a chance to get two vibrants but I dont know if I have $1000 to put up front. Do you think I can pay my bill minus the $500 and wait for the credit to go through?

They bill you immediately. It doesn't show up as a Payable amount (Mine showed $0 owed), but it CAN put you over the spending limit if you do auto-pay (Which can lead to a suspended account). Once they receive your B2 back, they remove the "charge" from your account.

Again, one five minute phone call to T-Mobile fixed the account suspension in my case, so it wasn't really an issue.

Upvote 0
They bill you immediately. It doesn't show up as a Payable amount (Mine showed $0 owed), but it CAN put you over the spending limit if you do auto-pay (Which can lead to a suspended account). Once they receive your B2 back, they remove the "charge" from your account.

Again, one five minute phone call to T-Mobile fixed the account suspension in my case, so it wasn't really an issue.

I have auto-pay, so it looks like I will run into this problem as well.

Also, to all who have returned the Behold 2, do you send just the phone back or everything in the original box?

Upvote 0
Lets try to keep this informative:) It is great to disagree. It is just stupid to be name calling.

So I called and got a Theresa. I told her about all of the problems. She informed me that at this point the only resolution is to send us replacement Behold 2 phones since we only had them replaced once.

I of course said that this was the answer that forced me to call her and that was not the solution at this point of time. She then stated that some person by the name of Jason was handling my case and that I had to talk to him.

I left a message for Jason so hopefully he will call back shortly.

Upvote 0
@euph_22, that is exactly what I was trying to get at this entire time. Thank you for understanding unlike a few/one select member(s) of this forum.

@mwl1119, I don't think you realize that when you pay $105 a month for service (sure, a family plan, if you want me to be fair then I'll say roughly $35 a month) for the length of your contract, and do not receive what you have been told you were going to receive, being offered something I could have already done does not make up for the $1260/$420 (plus another $150 for the phone) I spent. The entire point of a complaint such as the one I have been talking about is to achieve satisfaction in a desired way because said satisfaction was never achieved in the first place. I did not take time to make a complaint and/or request to be offered something that I could have made do with weeks earlier without contacting corporate. I apologize for the unnecessary name calling we went through during the length of our argument; we obviously have two different points of view. You have more of a 'its a business, money is priority' perspective on life whilst I have more of a 'its a business, but without a userbase there is no money to prioritize' perspective. Cheers.

Upvote 0
OK, here is my result. I emailed them yesterday, got a call 15 mins ago, a lady named Teresa, she could only offer me $170 to exchange vibrant. I think it's because I got BH II for free when I extended 2 -year service. then I decided to return the BH II and cancel my extension. She agreed and credited $10 for shipping fee. If anyone here got BH II for fee and also got vibrant exchanged for free, please let me know. I may try again. otherwise I will wait next run.

Thank you all for help! This is a great place!!

Shahn

BTW, during the conversation, the call was dropped off, it showed the problem vividly

Upvote 0
Lets try to keep this informative:) It is great to disagree. It is just stupid to be name calling.

So I called and got a Theresa. I told her about all of the problems. She informed me that at this point the only resolution is to send us replacement Behold 2 phones since we only had them replaced once.

I of course said that this was the answer that forced me to call her and that was not the solution at this point of time. She then stated that some person by the name of Jason was handling my case and that I had to talk to him.

I left a message for Jason so hopefully he will call back shortly.

This was after contacting Dotson's office? Or is she in Dotson's office? I sent an email yesterday addressing my issues and disappointment but I'm wondering if those earlier in the thread lucked out and at this point they are going to be a little less generous.

I went to the Tmobile store the other day and was playing with one of the 2.1 phones and it just pissed me off more. :/

Upvote 0
OK, here is my result. I emailed them yesterday, got a call 15 mins ago, a lady named Teresa, she could only offer me $170 to exchange vibrant. I think it's because I got BH II for free when I extended 2 -year service. then I decided to return the BH II and cancel my extension. She agreed and credited $10 for shipping fee. If anyone here got BH II for fee and also got vibrant exchanged for free, please let me know. I may try again. otherwise I will wait next run.

Thank you all for help! This is a great place!!

Shahn

BTW, during the conversation, the call was dropped off, it showed the problem vividly

Shahn

They gave me Vibrant for free as long as I replace my BH II.

I did get BH II for free when I upgraded and I didn't have data plan either. I had my BH II got replaced couple of times but continued to have same problems and all was documented. Finally when I called Executive Customer Service, I was offered Vibrant for free without any trouble.

So try again and hope you end up talking to someone else who would give you Vibrant for free.

Good luck

Reactions: shahn18
Upvote 0
very encourag me, mikoo!! I will try again. How many times you called or email them before they offered you vibrant?

That was 1st time only but before that I had talked to T-mobile 3 times and they had replaced my phone 2 (BH II) times but problems persist. So when I came across Executive Customer Service #, I called and they right away replaced it with Vibrant.

Upvote 0
Not that I'm aware of. Pretty sure the $10 plan replaced it.

Oh, and the Vibrant goes from "Pressing the power button" to the "Lock Screen" in about 35 seconds.

HOWEVER, since it reads from TWO SD Cards (Normal external card, and an internal, non-removable 16GB), it takes another few seconds to really be "Up and Running"

Oh, and the new TouchWiz?

May as well call it "ADW Launcher Blatant Ripoff 1.0". This is NOT a bad thing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones