1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Root Stupid Question about Roaming

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by wmbjr, Jun 17, 2010.

1. wmbjr

wmbjr New Member

Mar 19, 2010
    I know this is probably a stupid question, but I noticed most of the ROM's available for the Eris are actually Sprint ROM's from the Hero or other phones. I assume since everyone is running these and not screaming about roaming charges, that they somehow know it is a Verizon phone and it uses the Verizon network? Or am I using the Sprint network when I use one of the Sprint ROM's. Just curious how it all works and making sure I am not going to be hit with roaming or using the Sprint network when I want Verizon. Thanks in advance for any clarification!

WB

Advertisement

2. lewa

lewa Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Interesting.

Well, you don't have a plan with verizon, so they wouldn't even let you use their network.

3. chaos0422

chaos0422 Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    everett wa
    Sprint shares towers with Verizon so you are just useing a radio that was made by sprint

4. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2010
    I think it all falls back to the phone's IMEI or ESN.

5. benso87

benso87 Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Springfield, MO
    As far as I know, Verizon phones can't function on Sprint's network due to the fact that the companies use entirely different frequency bands, so I don't see any way this could be an issue. I wouldn't worry about it.

6. MrDangerous

MrDangerous Well-Known Member

May 21, 2010
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Verizon : CDMA 850
    Sprint: CDMA PCS (1900)
    ATT: GSM 850
    T-Mobile: GSM 1900

That's the majority of their networks, however VZ and Sprint roam each other, as well as with other networks that use CDMA and ATT and T-Mobile will roam each other if they have to.