• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stupid update question from a newbie

BladeQ

Lurker
Dec 18, 2013
Hi there everybody!
I recently found these forums and i think they will be very useful for my lack of knowledge about android.
My first of many stupid questions is about my ZTE Blade Q .
He is running 4.2 Jelly Bean and i want to ask you.
Can i update it to 4.4 kit kat without root?

Welcome to the forums BladeQ. I was unable to find any info about this recently released European device on the ZTE USA website I have access to. Just offhand based on previous experience I would say no you'll have to wait until ZTE releases the KitKat update for your phone in your country. If you can access the ZTE site for the country you purchased it in check there Support Section for your model of the Blade Q and see what's available there.

Reactions: BladeQ and argedion
Upvote 0
Only if ZTE release a 4.4 update for the device. If they do, you'll be able to install it via the software updates menu (which is somewhere under Settings > About).

Android always has to be built for the specific device, so there is no generic 4.4 that you can just install on whatever device you have. Even with root you will need someone to have built a 4.4 ROM for that phone before you can update to it.

P.S. Welcome to the forum :)

Reactions: argedion and BladeQ
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones