• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sudden Flakiness with Home Screens and App Placement - Solved!

MasterCylinder

Apr 4, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Hello!

I have a Verizon S3 for about 7 weeks, not rooted. Today I installed an app called Wifi Manager, which includes a really cool widget. When I went to move the widget to my Home Screen, things went haywire! The screens start moving really fast, and only in one direction - right to left. If I drag the widget to the left side of the display, it used to go the other direction. Now it tries and goes back and forth, quickly in a panic, but goes to the next one on the right, then panics back and forth, etc ....

This now happens with all apps and widgets and it never exhibited this behavior before. I rebooted, then I uninstalled the app, then I rebooted again, but it is still like "off to the races" if you try to move an app even on an existing screen or move one from the drawer. It's hard to place an app or widget - you have to sort of drop it before the screen gets there and hope it lands - it's quite frantic! You can move an app on a screen if you do it quickly, otherwise this frantic racing mode begins!

Crazy, and frustrating, since I haven't had a single problem since I bought it. It may or may not have had anything to do with that app install, which, by the way, is an app I had installed in the first week of ownership and then uninstalled a week later and didn't see any problems like this.

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks.

Hello!

Well, it finally occurred to me, after reading the last line of the sticky: Samsung Galaxy S3>Excuse me. Could I possibly distract you for just a brief second?>
Tips Problems after upgrade? Factory reset! to re-install the app and clear the data. This solved the weird behavior!

Lesson learned - if something goes wrong after a new app is installed, first clear data
. :car:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones