• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sudden screen crack

I just bought my first and likely only "smart phone" - I expect to have it long enough that there will be something else by the time I replace it.

What gets me with people's comments in this older thread is the idea that these things, designed to be carried with us everywhere, should be made to be so delicate that we have to be paranoid about them.

My old Samsung phone (six y.o.!) has been dropped so many times - the system gets knocked out, but you just pull off the battery and reinstall and it's right back to normal.

If they wanted them to be treated so carefully (and would refuse warranty service on accident-related repairs) then they should be sturdier and ship with some sort of holster that you are expected to use, as well as a wrist strap. I have already dropped mine (not hard or far, luckily) because it is hard to get a good grip on it when using the camera, or even I found fitting it into the little belt holster I found.

Most younger men I know carry them in their pants pocket. Where else are they supposed to go? It's not convenient to have to pull it out of a backpack, and most younger men are not wearing suit jackets with inside pockets or carrying handbags, nor wearing tech friendly hoodies on a hot day!

Design is about the entire customer experience, and how something marketed to be carried at all times is to be carried safely should be part of the thinking.

:thinking:

Upvote 0
I got myself the HTC Desire C - my screen has done exactly the same thing. I went to text my friend, and noticed a odd line in my screen. Turnt my screen lock on so it goes all black, and noticed a crack in the centre about 1 cm long ... as my day has gone on, the crack is getting bigger.

After stomping my feet at the mobile phone shop i got it from, i will be collecting a new one tomorrow :-D ... as i have only had it for 4 days.

Upvote 0
Sitting at work, with my week old Desire on my desk. Just glanced at it and there is a sudden deep diagonal crack running across its screen. Wasn't there half a minute ago and the phone has been lying flat and untouched with screen off...

Same thing happened to my phone. I noticed a vertical hairline crack. I didn't drop it. I didn't do anything. It goes from the left top corner to the right bottom corner

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones