• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Suggested Apps for a Rookie

Hey guys,

As i said in my introduction post on the forum i am new to the Android. Coming from the blackberry i liked some of the possibilities of Android but i have found some things lacking. So in short im turning to the pro's to find some things that can help me do things i did on my BB. So...

1.) Whats the best alternative browser for Android. I got Opera installed right now but i dont know if i want to stick with it.

2.) What's the best tethering software for android? My PC is an XP SP3, phone is a Behold II.

3.) Is there a software that i can check more than one gmail inbox? On my BB's Gmail app i was able to check more than one account.

4.) What's the best IM program? Looking for one that would handle multiple gchat accounts, aim, msn, yahoo, etc I used IM+ for BB that even did twitter and FB Chat, anything like it?

5.) Best twitter app? I'm using Twitdroid but im not impressed just yet.

6.) Best widgets, im looking for some really neat things to be on my desktops. So im looking for your opinions.

Thank you so much guys. I know it is taking a few minutes out of your time and so im really appreciative.

Sincerely,

Kenny

Reactions: wryun
Hey guys,

As i said in my introduction post on the forum i am new to the Android. Coming from the blackberry i liked some of the possibilities of Android but i have found some things lacking. So in short im turning to the pro's to find some things that can help me do things i did on my BB. So...

1.) Whats the best alternative browser for Android. I got Opera installed right now but i dont know if i want to stick with it.
I really think this is more up to you than anything. personally, the stock browser does exactly what i want it to. you could also try dolphin and skyfire, which is still in beta

2.) What's the best tethering software for android? My PC is an XP SP3, phone is a Behold II.
Someone else will have to answer this. All i know is that dedicated tethering support is coming with Android OS 2.2 update (referred to as Froyo, which is short for Frozen Yogurt)

3.) Is there a software that i can check more than one gmail inbox? On my BB's Gmail app i was able to check more than one account.
The stock Gmail app has support for multiple accounts. Once in your gmail inbox, press your menu button and you should see an accounts tab.

4.) What's the best IM program? Looking for one that would handle multiple gchat accounts, aim, msn, yahoo, etc I used IM+ for BB that even did twitter and FB Chat, anything like it?
You should have an app called talk. this is the mobile version of gchat. it syncs your contacts, so if you are used to using chat already, all of your contacts will be there. dont know about the fb and twitter though.

again, this is subjective. i use seesmic. for me twidroid wouldnt cut it because video upload support is only available in the pro version and i didnt want to pay. personally, i am waiting for tweetdeck for android.

6.) Best widgets, im looking for some really neat things to be on my desktops. So im looking for your opinions.
cant help you here. i like a clean desktop, so I am only running the news/weather widget and a few apps. i dont have more than 8 apps on each homescreen and each has a useful widget for me. one has the power widget, the other has the music player widget.
Thank you so much guys. I know it is taking a few minutes out of your time and so im really appreciative.

Sincerely,

Kenny

hope some of that helps!

Upvote 0
Whats the best alternative browser for Android. I got Opera installed right now but i dont know if i want to stick with it.
Best is always highly subjective, regardless of topic. You might want to check out Dolphin and Xscope.

Is there a software that i can check more than one gmail inbox? On my BB's Gmail app i was able to check more than one account.
The stock gmail app.

I'm guessing you're actually asking for a solution that will consolidate all mail like the BB?

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

ill say the same as the previous post. the stock browser works good. ive not seen a need to use a different one yet. unlike BB, this one doesnt suck. i too used opera on my bb bold 9700

dunno, ive not tethered yet but froyo does have the ability

previous poster is correct.

ive just been using the official twitter for android app and it seems to work just fine. havent tried others yet tho. i came from ubertwitter on the bb and i dont tweet much but im not missing anything.

the weather channel's app and widgets are nice. not sure of much else. i too am a n00b having had my phone for only a week now.

Sincerely,

Kenny
my thoughts noted above. to too came from a bb and so far im not really missing it. ive had my nexus one a week now and havent once wanted to fire my old berry up.

Reactions: kgreendenver
Upvote 0
Best is always highly subjective, regardless of topic. You might want to check out Dolphin and Xscope.

The stock gmail app.

I'm guessing you're actually asking for a solution that will consolidate all mail like the BB?

Well on BB it the Gmail App allows you to have multiple accounts and with a few clicks your able to move from one account to another entirely. Thats what i'm looking for.

Upvote 0

1. I have xScope, Dolphin HD, Skyfire, Opera and of course the stock.
2. PDAnet. If you are rooted, Barnacle Wifi Tether is good.
3. Your default Gmail app does this. Gmail App>Menu>Accounts>Add Account or once you have added accounts you can select whichever Gmail account you like.
4. Fring. IMO, it is the best. Not that I can use the function, but you can do video conferences now too. You can make calls over Wifi and esentially never use your minutes. The actual Skype app disables Wifi.
5. The official Twitter app is pretty good. So is Seesmic. You can also read this: Twitter for Android: the best apps reviewed -- Engadget
6. So many! Beautiful Widgets, Fancy Widgets, Audio Manager, Weather and Toggle are a few.

7. Adding my own suggestions, try out new home launchers. ADW, LauncherPro, Helix Launcher are great options. And get Home Switcher app if you want to keep more than one Home Launcher so you can switch between them. You can design each Home Launcher differently and switch between them for different themes and moods. Similar to what the new HTC Sense allows you to do.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones