• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Suggestions for fitness watch

nessthiss

Apr 1, 2010
I would like to get a smart watch for using when I work out. I don't have a need for one as an every day watch, I just want one that I can use with Google Music and Endomondo, stuff like that, when I work out so that I don't have to carry my phone. Good bluetooth connectivity is a must to pair with my headphones, and a comfortable strap are a must.

Do Android smart watches support multiple users so my wife and I could share one to use just for working out?

Any suggestions for a watch that will work for me?

TIA

Can you play music from an Android Wear device without having it connected to a phone? I don't think you can, but I could be wrong.

Apparently you can.

I've been looking at different watches and it looks like the Sony Smartwatch 3 is the only one that has integrated GPS, which is 50% of what I want it for. Current phones are just too big and cumbersome to put in an arm band, so I want to be able to go for a run without taking my phone to track my workout and listen to music. A lot of the write ups focus on how this watch is good for runners because it has GPS so you can leave your phone behind.

From what I've read, you can load music from Google Play Music that you have cached to your phone but it loads ALL of the music you have on your phone. So if you have 5 GB of music on your phone and your watch only has 4 GB of storage, it will cause an error. This is a major flaw in the system. For one, I would expect to be able to DL music to the watch over wifi directly from the cloud, and short of that, you should be able to select which playlists get synched to the watch.

I'm going to try to share the watch with my wife since we use different apps to track workouts. I use Endomondo and she uses Runkeeper. I think that if I just set up the Runkeeper app with her account, she should be able to use it too. We only have one Google All Access account anyway so we both need it for music.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
From what I've read, you can load music from Google Play Music that you have cached to your phone but it loads ALL of the music you have on your phone.

Correct, everything downloaded to the paired handset is also downloaded to the watch.

you should be able to select which playlists get synched to the watch

You can do this with Sony's PC Companion desktop program, which syncs with the Music app.

Upvote 0
Correct, everything downloaded to the paired handset is also downloaded to the watch.

You can do this with Sony's PC Companion desktop program, which syncs with the Music app.

I got the watch yesterday and I've synched some music to it. There's an option within Play Music right under the option to download music to Wear that lets you manage the downloads. I was able to unselect an album so that it didn't sync to the watch.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones