• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SuperSU removed from the Play Store

That does not surprise me..we've seen that coming way back..I always keep a copy of every single app I've ever downloaded..I started collecting those since my Hercules §2 because I knew the day would come..I don't need any thing from the the Google play store..I still have it just because my phone acts funny without it..other wise it would be long gone..

Upvote 0
Almost all apps for rooting like framaroot are also removed from the store. There might be complaints from phone makers or service providers.
Chainfire retired from development earlier this year, so it might be related to that instead.

Rooting apps are different: they exploit android security holes so are almost certainly in violation of play store rules. Hence I doubt that complaints from manufacturers or carriers are necessary for them to be removed.

Upvote 0
Chainfire retired from development earlier this year, so it might be related to that instead.

Rooting apps are different: they exploit android security holes so are almost certainly in violation of play store rules. Hence I doubt that complaints from manufacturers or carriers are necessary for them to be removed.

Many people want to root theirs phones to get rid of/modify the original ROM on which the network operators have spent millions to put all sort of bloatware. Those stuffs aim to generate extra incomes for the operators. So I guess that they naturally see the rooting apps as a bad thing.

Upvote 0
Doesn't mean that they are responsible for their removal. The Play Store policies forbid
  • Apps that facilitate or provide instructions on how to hack services, software or hardware, or circumvent security protections.
which I'm sure any rooting app violates, since by definition they are hacking the phone software to circumvent security protections.

Upvote 0
Except SuperSU
since by definition they are hacking the phone software to circumvent security protections.

Hmmm. I'm not sure I can agree with that. By definition rooting is simply gaining administrative access to your device. A rooted phone doesn't automatically run as root and elevating privileges to simply delete bloat or change a boot splash screen isn't security related at all.

Upvote 0
Root itself isn't the problem. But as "rooting apps" have to exploit security holes in order to grant you that ability I can't see how that is anything other than hacking the phone's software. And if someone interprets denying the user admin access as a security measure (plausible, since once you have admin access you can break Android's sandboxing - the reason banking apps refuse to run on rooted devices) then the bit about circumventing security protections would apply as well.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
I never understood about the magnitude..even the definition itself of security the can be bridged due to a rooting until just a couple of months ago that thanks to the root my §5 was hacked really good..so I comprehended that the hacker would have all the exact privileges that I do in my phone..then I realized this is the kind of security all the root detractors reefer to..

Now I partially agree with them..just for a minute.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones