• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sweet & Sour DX2

rushmore

Extreme Android User
Nov 13, 2008
Kentucky
I did a review, gave it a 9/10 and besides a few (of what I thought at the time) issues, things seemed good. After using more, I am running into issues I can not shake.

1. Once again, all Flash sites default to mobile versions. I might check some of the "jiggly" ones too and see if the same thing (pause) Yep! The the two I checked are doing it as well. Mobile versions only.

I have set Dolphin HD as default, set to desktop, the usual set-up that has not failed on the Droid and Incredible. I reset, reinstalled and does not matter- mobile Flash sites. I do not know what is going on, but it STILL keeps happening. I even went into "Auto:debug" in the core browser and set the string as desktop- no dice and all browsers are doing it.

2. Audio pops, ticks and skips. I noticed this in Youtube, but really notice it with MP3s. If you try to multi-task, it really gets out of hand and has the distortion even when not multi-tasking (sound quality is sweet, so ironic)

3. The signal bars do not seem to reflect reality. I was getting 4 bars even when the signal is in the 90's. The bar scale seems to be a bit kind. I know reviewers have been mentioning great signal and I have too (guilty), but right now I am looking at 93 to 97 dBm showing four bars and then when 86 dBm showing three bars. I think the signal bars are on crack- just like the Incredible when it first launched. Now it is showing four bars with 86 to 89 dBm. There appears to be no logical correlation. Point being: Just because it shows full bars does not mean a great signal. I noticed the reviews mention the bars. The device still has very good reception, but the bars are on crack. This is a cosmetic issue, but worth noting.

4. Some games will not install. I posted a quick fix for folks when apps will not install (mount as storage), but some great games like Meteor Blitz and Air Attack 3D will not install at all. This appears due to the way the storage was mapped.

I will search for solutions and read some of your fine posts, but if no fixes, will return the DX2 (VERY regretfully) next week. I may try another and see if a bum device.

If somebody nails me for a very favorable review and then I post this junk, I deserve it- 100% Fire away :(

My hope is for solutions, so I am doing this :) in a few days.

added:

I am swallowing what little pride I have and dropping my post traffic as punishment (will respond only). My next new thread will be if I get fixes to key DX2 issues.

Added:

The device is a lot more sweet than sour, but the sour stuff is getting to me. Plus, I ordered the $20 bundle and have no concept of sunk costs ;)

I wonder if this is something that can be remedied with GB OTA or other update? If not, this is disturbing that they changed how the storage is mapped.

If they did, everybody would need to move their current app/data related stuff to the microsd. Since you can not hot swap the card anyway, they would have been better of mapping like the Incredible (internal is media space and microsd is where app data is pushed).

I really like the DX2, so hope fixes come- real soon. The mapping will not be practical to change, but the mp3 skipping is a biggie amonst the issues to address. Makes no sense that Flash and movies playing from the video card do not skip, but mp3s do.

Upvote 0
If they did, everybody would need to move their current app/data related stuff to the microsd. Since you can not hot swap the card anyway, they would have been better of mapping like the Incredible (internal is media space and microsd is where app data is pushed).

I really like the DX2, so hope fixes come- real soon. The mapping will not be practical to change, but the mp3 skipping is a biggie amonst the issues to address. Makes no sense that Flash and movies playing from the video card do not skip, but mp3s do.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how or why they did the mapping the way they did, but if it is that big of a negative that's another checkmark against the DX2. Right now I am just waiting for the GB OTA to hit for my DX1 and hoping that will keep things fresh enough on that unit for me for a while longer.

Upvote 0

I feel the same way. I feel like there's at least enough on this X2 thread for Motorola to see and be like... okay, let's not be dicks and help these nice people.

Primary issues with this phone as I can gather:

1) Audio skips
2) Contacts/ Facebook Contacts makes no sense
3) SD Card Confusion
4) USB connections make the phone buggy

My suggestion? Contact Motorola and Verizon about it. Even thought they can't fix it, you'll add to the amount of people with similar complaints, expediting the need for an update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones