• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Switch from Gingerbread to Froyo

mach101

Feb 16, 2012
Hi all,
First of all I am completely new to Android, and I want to downgrade to Froyo, to test the performance of Froyo to see whether it is better choice for my Samsung Galaxy Gio.
Also I have seen on Google that there is a new update version 2.3.4, but Kies do not update this for me.

Hope someone can tell how to downgrade.

thanks in advance

Welcome to android Forums

You will need to learn how to use Download Mode and how to flash a phone via odin
Both the tutorial
(Flash Guide) and the Froyo firmware are available here

You have to register your account there to download firmwares and guides

Gio is GT-S5660

Personally speaking ,Gingerbread is more CPU optimized than Froyo since I own a similar device with same class processor (ARM11v6Vfp) and GB is a better choice than Froyo .

Note that Changing from Froyo to Gingerbread or vice versa includes flashing the Bootloader files .

If the files are corrupted or the USB connection or the USB port is faulty ,you have 30 p.c chance of totally bricking the phone .

Also you may need a firmware with the bootloader files or else Froyo wont work on gingerbread bootloader

Finally If you are completely new to android than I will suggest skipping the "downgrade" process since it has risks not worth the time (even more than rooting the phone )

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply Karandpr.
It sounds that it is not so easy as I thought it to be. The reason I want to downgrade is because I have read at some forums that people mentioned they had better battery life when Froyo was installed. I experience that the battery consumes quite fast with regard to my usage.

I also have an iPhone 4 and so I am not that new to smartphones, but this is my first Android, and I can easily see the difference between these two phones battery performances.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones