1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Switch my ATT s4 from 4G to 3G?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bennylava, Oct 29, 2014.

1. bennylava

bennylava Well-Known Member

I'm having trouble sending messages and getting downloads in the messaging system, that my friends send me. At my house mostly, but sometimes throughout my whole town. Apparently AT&T isn't all that concerned with their 4G signal in my area. So I need a way to switch to 3G so I can have better signal and actually be able to use the phone for its main functions.

Unfortunately, ATT seems to have disabled the ability for the user to just go into the settings and switch over to 3G, from 4G LTE or whatever they call it. So now I'm stuck with their lousy signal. Is there an app on the play store that will allow me to do this?

2. bennylava

Somebody! Anybody!

3. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Android Expert

It's not disabled; it's hidden. Install xShortcut FREE, select System Settings > CompleteList, and then RadioInfo (about 3/4 of the way down). It will create a shortcut on your homescreen. Inside, there is s drop-down for "Set preferred network type." the default is "LTE/GSM auto (PRL)"; you want "WCDMA only."

4. bennylava

Thank you very much sir!

Does anyone know if this generally results in increased signal?

5. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Android Expert

It does in my case (when LTE is marginal), but every network is different. Try it and see.

6. bennylava

It says "The target component is guarded by permissions. (Permission denial). Please choose another target".

Apparently rooting your phone doesn't unlock everything, just stuff to do with android, and not Att. Anyone know how to get permissions to do this stuff?

7. bennylava

I tried putting in *#*#4683#*#* as well, and that didn't seem to work. Maybe its an outdated code?

8. bennylava

Bump still need help

9. bennylava

10. bennylava

11. bennylava

12. bennylava

13. bennylava

14. bennylava

15. bennylava

Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S4 release date was April 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 5410 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2013
Release Date
Reviews