• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Switching SD cards

stricklerjosh

Nov 2, 2009
High Point, NC
Hi, I am getting a new 8gb microsd card for my hero, I was wondering what the easiest way to move everything from my stock 2gb card to my new 8gb card? I am wanting to put a good bit of music on my hero and use it for my commute as an MP3 player, but I also am going to have all of the other stuff like pictures and things that the phone saves on the memory card. Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance! :cool:

either connect your phone via USB and mount it or pop the 2gb card in a reader. Open up the folder with for the card. Copy all the contents to a directory, say on your desktop. And then take the 8gb card in the adapter and plug it into your computer and copy the files over. Insert the 8gb card in your phone and you're good to go.

You could also just drag and drop them from the 2gb card in your phone to the 8gb card in a reader.

Upvote 0
What if i do not have a microsd card adapter? Should i just mount it to the computer, transfer files to computer, un-mount from computer. Then swap out the cards in the phone, re-mount to computer and copy all files back to the phone? would that work or does that make sense. I just don't wanna loose all my settings and pictures and things. also when I take out my old 2gb card and put in the 8 gb I have to mount it to the phone correct? When i do that will it mess anything up since all of my settings and contact pics etc are on the 2gb card? Just confused sorry.

Upvote 0
it shouldn't matter. By copying the contents of the 2gb to your computer you have everything saved. So it'd be pretty difficult to screw things up. You should be fine just copying the 2gb over, unmount, switch cards, remount, copy over to the 8gb and go.

You don't have an adapter? I don't think I've ever seen one sold with out a standard SD adapter, unless it just got lost.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones