• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swype 1.3.1.9274 not working on Jelly Bean

gtbarry

Android Expert
Jul 15, 2012
California
I was prompted to update swype this morning. I did so, and now everytime I select swype it closes automatically and I get the android keyboard. Anyone else having this issue?

- Swype Beta is checked in Language & Input (android keyboard is selected and grey in this screen)
- Choose Input Method screen. I select "Swype Beta". It flashes to Swype. Then reverts back to Android keyboard immediately
- I have cleared cache, etc. and rebooted the phone. This brought me to the new swype EULA and activation process. Which I did successfully. I rechecked all settings.

Jelly bean 4.1.2
Swype 1.3.1.9274 (downloaded on 18 October, 2012)

Thanks!

My Swype is acting fine on my GNex with a nightly of Cm10...sounds like a weird error, have you tried reinstalling swype yet?

Uninstalled. Reinstalled. Reactivated. EULA accepted. Selected. Still crashing.

Bombed them on twitter, facebook and youtube (that's what you get for not having any other way to get a hold of you). Let's see if we get a reply.

Upvote 0
Same exact issue. I'm running Vicious JB (taken directly from AOSP months before Verizon decided to release the update) and Swype was fine until this morning when I upgraded. I can access all the settings, etc., but every time I try to actually switch to Swype, it flashes and then goes back to the stock keyboard. Considering how much they damage Swype with each update, this may be the final push for me to not use them anymore.

Upvote 0
Latest from swype:
"We have been able to reproduce this in-house and are confident we know what the issue is.

We are still investigating this but will keep this thread updated as we have more information.

We'll reach out to you further if needed."

In the meantime they are recommending:

"you should be able to use Swype be disabling any apps that are in Android Settings > Accessibility."

Which is only a temporary fix and I think (and hope!) they know that.

Official Galaxy Nexus Jelly Bean Swype Issue Thread

Upvote 0
I don't personally believe good things will happen to swype's marketshare or credibility if they say "nothing else can use Accessibilty Services except us."

This would make people choose between them and Tasker. Them and Light flow. Them and Talkback. Etc.

A long term fix seems to be in the works/near future and can't be released soon enough for me.

Upvote 0
currently swype has not posted a fix for this other than disabling everything else in Accessibilty Services. (Which I do not believe is a long term fix.)

On the official swype forum someone mentioned this and it works:
- under apps disable the Android keyboard
- reboot phone and select swype.

Worked for me and I have both swype and lightflow working.

Upvote 0
currently swype has not posted a fix for this other than disabling everything else in Accessibilty Services. (Which I do not believe is a long term fix.)

On the official swype forum someone mentioned this and it works:
- under apps disable the Android keyboard
- reboot phone and select swype.

Worked for me and I have both swype and lightflow working.

Working here too.

Edit: I take that back. While this did manage to keep Swype selected as the current keyboard, the accessibility issue that's the root cause of the problem was causing Tasker use of the accessibility service to fail, meaning it couldn't detect any notifications. After an hour or so trying to figure out why Tasker suddenly wasn't working as expected, I restored the previous Swype using Titanium Backup and Tasker functionality is back to normal.

Upvote 0
Swype has gone mostly dark on this after staying mostly on top of this on the 18th when the issue broke???

Last thing on their official forum was "ensure that all applications or settings that are in Android Settings > Accessibility are disabled/turned off." And how should that be considered a final solution?

No word on an update or real fix? And demanding to be the only app or program running in Accessibility sounds somewhat unrealistic.

Be nice to hear something current from Swype.

Upvote 0
Swype was really active on the 18th when this issue blew up on them.

They had one more post on their official forum on the 19th.

Then after my posting on the official forum (on the 22nd) about their silence, this is their current response:

"We understand that this is a temporary solution and as I stated before we are still investigating the issue.

On another note:

Is anyone out there without apps that interface with accessibility experiencing this issue?

Thanks!"

Upvote 0
I received the OTA update today. Everything is fine for me.

I enabled my android keyboard and rebooted the phone. Android keyboard is back now.

I have seen on their official forum that people are having issues with having two swypes installed after the update, removing of personalization/dictionary, auto spacing not working etc. I luckily have none of these.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones