• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Swype on froyo

I went to the Swype forum and it seems to be a confirmed problem w/ Swype and 2.2 which hasn't been resolved yet.

They are currently trying to diagnose the problem and have a process for sending a log back to them showing what is going on w/your phone when the problem shows up. Unfortunately they weren't able to see the problem in the logs I sent them.

If you're interested: Problem with Swype Beta and Froyo on restart

Upvote 0
I've heard that some people like swiftkey but have not used it so can't comment on it.

I had this issue after flashing a custom ROM - it was due to my MEID not showing up. Are you stock ROM?

This is from the Swype Beta FAQ

Advanced: I receive one of the following errors when I try to install Swype:
  • Registration of the License Failed
  • Swype is already installed. Please uninstall Swype and try again.
  • Swype is configured for another device and will operate with limited functionality.
  • You do not have the necessary permissions to install Swype or
  • The ID of this of this phone does not match your registration at beta.swype.com

These errors are often shown when the Swype installer is terminated prematurely by the Android OS system activity manager as it tries to reclaim resources. Regardless of the cause, these steps should resolve the issue:
  • Uninstall both Swype and SwypeInstaller from your device - detailed directions here
  • Reboot your device
  • Close as many widgets from your desktop as possible
  • Download the SwypeInstaller
  • Use a task-manager to kill all non-essential running apps
    (If you are not familiar with the task-manager, you can skip this, but you may see the error again)
  • Install and run the SwypeInstaller
If this doesn't work for you, please download the app SendLog from the Android Market and repeat the install process. If you receive the error, immediately open SendLog, select Time, and when prompted for an email address put androidbeta@swype.com. Then send us an email at the same address telling us about the problem and that you've sent us your logs. We'll look at them and let you know when we have more information.

Yes I am running stock. Tried these steps mulitple times yesterday to no avail. Suffering from some serious swype withdrawal.

Upvote 0
Yes I am running stock. Tried these steps mulitple times yesterday to no avail. Suffering from some serious swype withdrawal.
Can you go into the phone settings>about phone>phone identity and see if the MEID and IMSI are populated? When I was getting that error during install, those fields were showing as "unknown". like I said, I am using a custom rom and found a solution, but it may not work for you unless you are rooted.

Upvote 0
Not sure what you mean by "populated" but there is a string of numbers below both MEID and IMSI on my phone.

And yes, changing the keyboard input to stock and then back to Swype clears the problem, it's just a pain to do on a regular basis.
The question about the MEID and IMSI was directed to phi11y2 who can't even install, but yes, I meant is there a string of numbers below those headings. Mine said only unknown.

The issue about having to change the input is a known issue to the Swype developers and they are working on a fix.

*Edit* Just saw that it was you who posted something similar earlier.

*Edit2* Since the issue only happens (to me) when I reboot. This isn't too much of an issue for me. The only time I really reboot is when flashing new ROMs or kernels, then I usually have to set up everything fresh anyhow.

Upvote 0
Can you go into the phone settings>about phone>phone identity and see if the MEID and IMSI are populated? When I was getting that error during install, those fields were showing as "unknown". like I said, I am using a custom rom and found a solution, but it may not work for you unless you are rooted.

Both those fields are populated.

Would a system reset take me back to 2.1 or am I stuck at 2.2?

Upvote 0
I am having the exact same issue.

Anyone else have this problem w/ Swype after updating to FroYo?

Upon re-boot, more times than not I loose the ability to "swype" the keyboard. Inputing individual keys continues to work.

To get the "swype" function back either I have to re-boot my Dinc or press input, select the stock android keyboard, type a few letters then select the Swype keyboard and everything is working again.

Just wanted to see if anyone else is having this problem and if they have been able to resolve it. I have re-downloaded the Swype installer a twice but the problem always returns.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones