• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swype on G1 experience

GeoUSA

Android Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2008
Anyone running the Swype soft keyboard beta successfully on the G1? It loaded successfully and did present a warning that not all features may work on my phone. It appears to work until I swype a word. Then it beeps, but never inserts any text.

Perhaps it's a memory issue. The 2 MB installer and 4 MB app did take my G1 under my normal 25 MB free-space comfort zone. For now it's off my phone.

(Yes, I know about root with apps2SD. I choose not to root for now.)

I've been running it for about two weeks or so with my unrooted phone. Works great. On my phone I had problems with it until I went through the whole tutorial on the handset. Possibly coincidence? I don't know but it worked fine after that.

You may be on to something there. I had already worked through the tutorial online so I skipped the built-in one... Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones