• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Swype & Thunderbolt - a bug?

Autospacing issue lies with the way I think the HTC SMS app is set-up, and not Swype (according to the Swype forum). It works fine with Handcent.

Garnto, does your Swype lock-up after a reboot? You then have to manually re-enable it?
I am using hand centand yes it does lock up after r boot. Jut put on regular input them back on swype and it's good to go

Upvote 0
I'm having a separate issue with Swype. I've been signed up for the beta for a while and used it with no issues on my eris for months. I downloaded the installer and when I try to open it I get the message: "There is a problem parsing the package." Has anyone seen this error and know how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Does Swype tracing stop working after you reboot your Thunderbolt? The key presses still work. But tracing gets locked.

Swype can be re-enabled if you select another keyboard and then Swype again.

No, this is an outstanding bug that swype has across multiple devices. I had this with my Incredible and still have it with the Thunderbolt. Actually, with the TB, it happens less often. sometimes it actually activate swype correctly after a reboot. with the inc, it happened maybe a couple times over the course of a year.

Upvote 0
I only saw this problem on my D1 when the Swype beta periods expired and we had to go get new licenses. On my TB, the lock ups got to the point that I had to drop Swype. Swype wants to sell their keyboard directly to device OEMs and limit the devices they formally support. They seem to have no interest in ever open marketing the product. So every few months, they time bomb and we have to interrupt what we're doing to re-license. We also get this unsupported device reboot square dance. For me, Swype has lost its value and I'm not going to choose a device over another because it has licensed Swype support.

I'm on trials of SlideIT and Swiftkey. No conclusions yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones