• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swype Works!!! "Landscape" and "No Errors"

Why is this not in the market to download?
From what I have gathered, their business model (the company that developed this btw) is to sell direct to Oem phone manufacturers to incorporate it into their handsets.

This kind of software could be used as a key logger but hopefully not this one at least, plus the source seems too have some credibility, plus has been widely blogged.

Upvote 0
I think now that the keyboard is in the hands of fine XDA Dev's we should see a version with "Speak to Text" in the near future. There usually on top of stuff like that. I find it pretty quick to long press as well and hit the mic button on the Android Board if i'm driving.

but... One hand typing is becoming so fast with this keyboard I think I'm kinda over the Speech Input ... Not to say I wouldn't love to see the hack ;)

Tip: when you start to become more familiar with the keyboard itself head into the settings and turn down the speed vs errors setting. This will enable to you type much faster. when your first starting off though I suggest you keep the setting stock.

I would say after 10-15 hours of pure usage you can get near 70-90 WPM out of this thing. I'm crazy into the keyboard though and would judge myself at nearly 100WPM Considering I can type out an Average text in roughly 7-12 seconds. Speed only gets faster to as you memorize the "Swype" technique for your commonly used words.

I bet this board has the potential and accuracy for in the range of 120-150 WPM depending on how familiar you become with it.

Food for Thought:

My average typing speed on a full sized computer Qwerty is 90-110WPM thats after roughly 12 years of using one.

One hand on Stock Android Keyboard probably 20-35WPM

15 Hours on the Swype and I'm easily at or surpassed the speed I can type on a computer keyboard. (With just one hand! better yet just my thumb ;) )

Glad you guys are having success and like it as I do.

Nex

Upvote 0
Severely lacking Voice icon.

Better Keyboard is turning to garbage. And Smartkeyboard is just starting out.
Swype is fantastic but absolutely needs a voice icon.

My actual big issue is that I only use "swype" gestures for one hand typing. In landscape Id like to type regularly.

After toying with the keyboard for awhile now I can say you can use it as a regular type board as well if you don't like the swyping.

I prefer typing normally like you in landscape.

Upvote 0
Installed on the Droid. Portrait seems to be okay. Landscape appears to have another keyboard underneath, offset. But still works well. Honestly not something I will probably use very often, but it will be cool to show to friends with dumbphones. Though it does appear to be feature-packed.

This version of swype is for the nexus only the original release works fine on the droid from my understanding. It was the nexus that was having issues.

Upvote 0
Can someone help. I downloaded this on my nexus but when I try to open the file it says there is a problem parsing the package? Can't get it to install. Can someone give me any ideas? Thanks guys.

I had that problem, too originally when I downloaded it from the link in this thread. Go over to the xda-forums link (which is in the first post) and download the file which starts "mirror thanks to th3fallen" I was then able to install the file fine.

Upvote 0
make sure you have the "allow 3rd party apps to install" box checked off in your settings when trying to instal

and this is the absolute best keyboard there is, all it needs is a microphone (which im sure will be there for final release). I will buy as well, as long as its not over a few dollars

Upvote 0
Thanks for posting this! After using it for a day I'd like to offer my impressions of how this compares to ShapeWriter.

Pros for Swype
- very nice look and feel
- like the alternate keyboards
- seems a bit faster than ShapeWriter
- landscape mode looks nice, although the resolution seems to be a bit off
- tap mode is much nicer

Pros for ShapeWriter
- much better handling of double letters, it can almost always guess what I actually want to write, where Swype only guesses right maybe 20% of the time
- auto capitalization of words
-I prefer the horizontal layout of alternate word suggestions, my finger doesn't have to travel so far to pick one
- auto contractions, typing don't, wouldn't, etc is nicer because it almost always guess correctly
- delete entire word if you accidentally insert the wrong one

Mixed
- capitalization, double letters, and apostrophes are easier on ShapeWriter primarily because it guesses so well. Swype's approach is actually more flexible and allows you to be more precise, but you generally need to make fewer corrections with ShapeWriter
- developer support seems to be poor with ShapeWriter, not sure about Swype yet

Overall I think Swype shows more promise and its certainly more visually appealing. As usual I'm getting much better with use, and I'll continue to try Swype as my main keyboard for the next couple of days at least. My hope is that it wil pick up some of the nicer aspects of ShapeWriter, because as it is now I rarely have to switch back to either the stock keyboard or the HTC Touch Input.

And just for reference, I typed this whole post using Swype, and it took me about 20 minutes.

Reactions: Roze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones