• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Syntax Error (Terminal Emulator) - Trying to install Darktremor Apps2sd.

I currently have the OG Motorola Droid with the 4.1.1. Jelly Bean rom - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1852131

I am now trying to install Dark Tremor Apps2sd onto my phone.

I have partitioned my sd card (4gb) using Rom Manager - I know it works since I now see the apps on the sd card With 0.00 mb on it.

I've also formatted the SD-EXT as well as mounted it from the Clockworkmod Recovery.

My problem is using the Terminal Emulator app on my phone.

I'm currently following these instructions - Install Dark Tremor Apps2SD On Your Android ( Demo On Samsung Galaxy Ace ) - YouTube

When it comes to opening my Terminal Emulator app and typing in

mount | grep sd-ext
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /sd-ext type ext3 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,barrier=1,nodelalloc,data=ordered)

I always get this error:

/system/bin/sh: syntax error: '(' unexpected

I originally did this without mounting the sd-ext. I mounted it, and still have the same error.

Can someone please help me? I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

When it comes to opening my Terminal Emulator app and typing in

mount | grep sd-ext
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /sd-ext type ext3 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,barrier=1,nodelalloc,data=ordered)

I always get this error:

/system/bin/sh: syntax error: '(' unexpected

How much of that are you actually typing? I believe the first line mount | grep sd-ext is the only part you actually need to type.

mount without anything else will return a list of all the mountpoints on the system. The "|" (pipe) then passes that output through the grep command, which searches for a specified string ("sd-ext" in this case). So the function of the command is to return information about where your sdcard gets mounted - and that's what the next line indicates:

Code:
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /sd-ext type ext3 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,barrier=1,nodelalloc,data=o rdered)

In English, this would be "the device named mmcblk0p2 is mounted at /sd-ext. The filesystem type is ext3, and it is mounted in rw (read-write) mode.

Bonus: "noatime" and "nodiratime" tell the system not to bother with recording when a file or directory gets accessed, which reduces overhead and improves performance. "barrier=1" and "data=ordered" improve filesystem stability and reliability. I don't believe that ext3 supports delayed allocation, but "nodelalloc" would disable it anyway.

tl;dr: just type mount | grep sd-ext and move on to the next step. :p

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Yes, I believe it does.

Here's a screenshot:

33a8b45.png

view.php

Upvote 0
So now, I realize that whenever I type mount | grep sd-ext and hit enter - nothing comes up afterwards
That means that sd-ext isn't mounted.

A few things are done in the line: mount | grep sd-ext

1. mount
    Outputs all mounted partitions.
  2. |
    Sends the output as input to another program.
  3. grep
    Takes input, and outputs based on a filter.
  4. sd-ext
    The filter for grep. Grep will only output lines that contain "sd-ext".

Upvote 0
Yes, I believe it does.

Here's a screenshot:

33a8b45.png

view.php

Yep, looks like it's mounted at /mnt/sdcard. Not sure if or how that will play into getting a2sd up and running (sorry, haven't played with that since my Nexus One), but at least you know where it is now.

Good luck with the rest - let us know if you run into trouble!

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones