• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

system persistent

I just downloaded GO Launcher and in preferences it gives me the option "system persistent". However underneath it it says "warning: experimental feature, maybe cause instability" i browsed a little on google and some around here to see if i could find anything. I havent really foundd anything abou the feature and was wondering if someone could tell me what it does?

Thanks,
TDWS90

I just downloaded GO Launcher and in preferences it gives me the option "system persistent". However underneath it it says "warning: experimental feature, maybe cause instability" i browsed a little on google and some around here to see if i could find anything. I havent really foundd anything abou the feature and was wondering if someone could tell me what it does?

Thanks,
TDWS90

Hello,
If you have problems with Go Launcher quitting, then try the options called "System persistent" and "Prevent Force Close" in the app settings if you haven't tried that.

i hope that is plain enough and enjoy

Upvote 0
Hello,
If you have problems with Go Launcher quitting, then try the options called "System persistent" and "Prevent Force Close" in the app settings if you haven't tried that.

i hope that is plain enough and enjoy

I believe the original poster wanted to know what "system persistent" means.

To answer the actual question:
Android memory management keeps recently used apps active in memory until that app has been
1) unused/gone dormant
AND
2) memory needs to be freed up due to more immediate needs (more apps being started by user)

When the two conditions are met, the task is killed, though a snapshot of its saved state is stored as a temp file (these are the recent apps you see whenever switching between recent apps).

Once a task is killed, to use it again Android loads it from scratch, as if you had just started it. This takes longer than if the app was already loaded in RAM. Android doesn't care if an app is your launcher, it will kill that task if it sits in background long enough and you are running other memory hogs (a game for example).

Then, when you hit your HOME button, instead of a snappy return to your home screen, your launcher has to load from disk, causing a noticeably slower transition than what you are used to.

Keeping Persistent uses coding tricks to fight off the android memory manager, keeping the launcher running no matter what. This may cause instability as Android wants to free up the memory for a reason: another app needs it more!

I realise this is a very old post and nowadays with more ram available, the issue is less critical. I would leave persistence OFF if you find your phone slowing down while running memory hog apps like games.
But leave it on if you find that hitting the HOME button takes an unacceptable long time to load your home screen.

The balance between stability and speed is for you to decide with a few days of trying both methods.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones