• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help System Update - "Download failed"

candroid11

Sep 21, 2011
I was never prompted about downloading a new update. This morning I went to the system updates page to see if jelly bean was finally available. On this page it automatically said that an update was available, but it also said 'download failed.' I never even tried to download it before. I have since pressed 'retry' a few million times and it is unresponsive. I see no indication that the phone is even attempting to install the update; it is simply telling me that it has failed before I even gave it permission to download and install. What is going on? I have rebooted the phone, and tried downloading through both the network and a wi-fi connection and nothing is happening.

I have the Canadian version on Wind Mobile.

you need to determine what version you are running.... I think you go through maps> menu> about....and it will tell you that its yakjuxx or yakjuxw or something similar. If so, then it is carrier updated and maybe your carrier is screwing up the update. Personally, I'd search for the threads here on flashing the Google direct build of yakju which gets updated by google directly and avoids any carrier headaches.

You can find directions for flashing the Google build HERE

*** NOTE: You will need to unlock your device to flash it. Unlocking WIPES the entire device, pictures, music and all. You will want to copy/backup any of your files remotely and make sure your contacts and everything are backed up through google.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones