• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-Mobile LTE Phones do get LTE on Metro Pcs

Okay guys, I just want to make sure and double check, I have a Galaxy Note 2 (T-Mobile) (not unlocked) and if I take it to MetroPCS and connect it, it will work? I have a line with Nexus 4
Yes it will, if they ask you if its unlocked just tell them yes, most of the employee's do not really know anything about it and so will quote the only unlocked phones line.

also on a different note my wife and I were in Orlando last week and I checked the metro cdma S3 it was running on band 4, I did not get a good speed test on it but I did take one on my nexus, running on t mobile lte, signal was great, full bars but it was slow, very slow like 5-6 down.
This was at the mall so its quite possible it was just part of a over taxed network.

Upvote 0
Also it might be worth mentioning that if you have a metro 4G phone it can be used in areas where T Mobile has 4G coverage but Metro does not.

Last summer I was in Albuquerque New Mexico where T Mobile has 4G and Metro does not and I was able to get 4G service on my phone (Motion 4G).

*Most areas

Pretty sure not all have MOCN running just yet so they're not broadcasting 311-660(Old Metro ID) simultaneously from the tmobile tower

Upvote 0
Right on! I thought the Metro PCS cards were locked to the device.

This means you can bring your $55 unlimited to other devices, apparently.

I can't use the high speed T-Mo APN with it however, which I expected, but means I'm stuck with Metro's LTE bandwidth caps.

I believe all of the metro 4G phones after the LG Connect the UICCs were interchangeable. You can't use the Tmo APN because technically you're still on Metro's LTE and Android won't let you use another networks APN because of the conflicting MCC-MNC in the APNs

Upvote 0
I know for a Fact the UICC for the Motion was tied to the phone.

My first Motion was a Best Buy phone. Metro even knew there was a glitch in their system with Some BB Motions where the card # did not match what their records said. Absolutely Positively No Way would Metro activate the phone, it had to go back for a return. (Even with a 3 way call between me, BB and The Mothership) This whole deal took 2 trips to BB and about 4 hrs and I didn't even end up with a phone. Went the next day 38 miles away to the nearest Corporate store and got the phone there.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Upvote 0
I know for a Fact the UICC for the Motion was tied to the phone.

My first Motion was a Best Buy phone. Metro even knew there was a glitch in their system with Some BB Motions where the card # did not match what their records said. Absolutely Positively No Way would Metro activate the phone, it had to go back for a return. (Even with a 3 way call between me, BB and The Mothership) This whole deal took 2 trips to BB and about 4 hrs and I didn't even end up with a phone. Went the next day 38 miles away to the nearest Corporate store and got the phone there.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

The system may not activate the phone with a different UICC but an activated UICC is swappable

Upvote 0
Metro's 4G is crap compared to T-Mobile. I get 2-3 Mbps down on my LG Motion. My brother just got an LG L6 (after suffering for two years with an Optimus M haha) and it regularly gets 35 Mbps down. Over 10 times faster than Metro. We both live in the same house and we both have full bars on our phones at all times.

Metro really should be ashamed to refer to their speeds as 'blazing fast'.

What they should do is put an asterisk next to the words' blazing fast' and say **compared to our 1x speeds

Upvote 0
Metro's 4G is crap compared to T-Mobile. I get 2-3 Mbps down on my LG Motion. My brother just got an LG L6 (after suffering for two years with an Optimus M haha) and it regularly gets 35 Mbps down. Over 10 times faster than Metro. We both live in the same house and we both have full bars on our phones at all times.

Metro really should be ashamed to refer to their speeds as 'blazing fast'.

What they should do is put an asterisk next to the words' blazing fast' and say **compared to our 1x speeds

That's when there is LTE coverage, in my neck of the woods, Metro's data is much less spotty then T-mobiles

Upvote 0
Right now many parts of metro's CDMA/LTE are running LTE on the 1900mhz band 2, and of course all t mobile and metro/gsm are running on the 1700/2100mhz band 4 for LTE and HSPA.
Some metro areas that do get LTE are not covered under tmo's lte, though most of those areas should have some hspa coverage and while speeds are comparable (overall speedtest anyways) the reduced latency and faster upload of LTE is very noticeable.
So in conclusion be very sure about what towers you can connect to before you make the decision.

The N5 is probably one of if not the best phone to get because its freq bands are extensive, probably covers any carrier but you unfortunately can not put it on the CDMA/LTE side of metro even though it would get those bands im sure.

Metro should be all over the idea of having both networks in use by the same device. Shame they aren't on it. If they were the Nexus 5 would have been in my hands once released. Here I am still rocking the Esteem due to not liking Tmobile's voice quality (at least in my area....)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones