• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-mobile new UNcarrier plan?

chong67

Android Expert
Apr 5, 2011
Atlanta
A user at Slickdeal posted this. :)

Interesting isnt it? It is for 3rd party user(Walmart, Straighttalk, etc).

Does this make a difference now vs doing directly thru Tmo prepaid?

I have no idea what this means.

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2013-03-12-at-10.58.16-AM.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2013-03-12-at-10.58.16-AM.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 184
I heard from a co-worker that has a friend that works for t-mobile that the uncarrier strategy is what t-mobile plans to announce on March 24th. It seems they are dropping the 2 year contract model across the board. This is supposed to lower the monthly costs for customers but at the expense of higher prices for phones, I wonder how that will affect current customers who just signed up or renewed a 2 year contract like myself?

Reactions: Sepero
Upvote 0
Is it me, or don't I see a $30 plan on there?

If you notice, that is the "Classic Plans". My understanding is that 3rd party resellers, because of the way they are paid, have to be able to sell postpaid plans, so the Classic plan will remain postpaid with the "free phone". This is the reason the plans are roughly $20 more per month, to pay for the "free phone".

When you purchase a plan/phone from T-Mobile directly, it is rumored they will not sell plans with subsidized phones. Instead, the base price will be $70/month for unlimited everything and if you want a "free phone" they will sell you a phone with a no-interest loan, which will add $15 or $20 extra a month. It is unclear if those will all be prepaid plans, or if they will still offer postpaid directly.

Last, the rumors I've heard are that the $30 plan will still exist, just that it is not considered a "T-Mobile" plan since it is exclusive to Walmart and online.

Upvote 0
If you notice, that is the "Classic Plans". My understanding is that 3rd party resellers, because of the way they are paid, have to be able to sell postpaid plans, so the Classic plan will remain postpaid with the "free phone". This is the reason the plans are roughly $20 more per month, to pay for the "free phone".

When you purchase a plan/phone from T-Mobile directly, it is rumored they will not sell plans with subsidized phones. Instead, the base price will be $70/month for unlimited everything and if you want a "free phone" they will sell you a phone with a no-interest loan, which will add $15 or $20 extra a month. It is unclear if those will all be prepaid plans, or if they will still offer postpaid directly.

Last, the rumors I've heard are that the $30 plan will still exist, just that it is not considered a "T-Mobile" plan since it is exclusive to Walmart and online.

As I said, this is just the tip of the iceberg. I can foresee some surprises on the horizon.

Upvote 0
Why do you say it seems like it's ending? I'm about to be going on this and if they end it before it starts, WOW I'm going to be very upset.

Heh

We're in the same boat it seems. I just found this plan 3 days ago and can't buy a phone until March 26th. The next best thing is Virgin Mobile's 'Beyond Talk Unlimited Data' for $35 but it's just not as good (that is being nice)

I just picked the phone out last night too. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones