• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

TalkBack accessibility won't work on HTC Explorer

Man_Hunt

Lurker
Jan 3, 2013
Hello and happy new year everyone!

I cannot get TalkBack accessibility app to work on my HTC Explorer (Android 2.3.5).

It was not originally installed on my phone, so I had to download and install it manually from Google Play Store. I have enabled TalkBack in my "Accessibility" settings, however, I do not get any spoken feedback on any screen/menu at all. The phone just continues working normally as if TalkBack was not enabled at all.

I have also tried KickBack and SoundBack apps, and they actually do work on my phone. I get vibrating and clicking sounds whenever I select any icon/menu on the screen. But for some reason I cannot get TalkBack to work. I need this application for my project where I will be developing an accessible application for blind users.

Maybe TalkBack is not fully supported by HTC Explorer? If it isn't then can you suggest any alternatives to this application?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I figured out what the problem was. I had to go to "Voice input & output settings" and then select "Text-to-speech settings" in the Settings menu of my phone. Then I selected "Install voice data" which redirected me to Google Play Store asking me to install the application called "SpeechSynthesis Data Installer". After that TalkBack started working normally and I was able to get spoken feedback.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones