• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Talking in the Car!

Off topic, but in defense of the OP:
For all ya haterz, a microphone and a speaker are functionally identical. The only difference is in how it's wired, or more specifically if it is being used as an input or output device. Knowing this, it's not theoretically impossible to make a car speaker system into a microphone. There is a bass drum microphone (called the "sub-kick") that uses a 5" speaker mounted in a drum shell to pick up low-frequency vibrations.

The more you know...

Not entirely true... but the sub-kick is correct.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I've been doing this since I first got my Incredible at launch, and love it, however once in a while I encounter an issue where the person on the other end of the call does not hear anything from me. Not sure what the cause is, but nine times out of ten it works perfectly.

I have the same problem except it is probably five times out of ten. What would cause the microphone not to activate?

Upvote 0
I've been doing this since I first got my Incredible at launch, and love it, however once in a while I encounter an issue where the person on the other end of the call does not hear anything from me. Not sure what the cause is, but nine times out of ten it works perfectly.

Mine no longer works at all. Does anyone have a fix for this issue. Using the headphone jack to attach to the car speakers - now when I get a call the caller cannot hear me. It doesn't seem to matter if the phone is in a cradle or in my hand. Please Help!

Upvote 0
Mine no longer works at all. Does anyone have a fix for this issue. Using the headphone jack to attach to the car speakers - now when I get a call the caller cannot hear me. It doesn't seem to matter if the phone is in a cradle or in my hand. Please Help!

unplug the jack and plug it back in again, usually does the trick for me if that happens.

Upvote 0
Off topic, but in defense of the OP:
For all ya haterz, a microphone and a speaker are functionally identical. The only difference is in how it's wired, or more specifically if it is being used as an input or output device. Knowing this, it's not theoretically impossible to make a car speaker system into a microphone. There is a bass drum microphone (called the "sub-kick") that uses a 5" speaker mounted in a drum shell to pick up low-frequency vibrations.

The more you know...

I'm laughing not at the op but at almost everyone else...

I find it funny no one has even brought up the possibility that that car may be designed for an onstar or similar service.

Now I know obviously if he had onstar he would know but the car interior probably still has the mic in the car somewhere even though he doesn't have the button in his car for the onstar service

a few years back my mom had an acura, some acuras come with onstar, some don't, our didnt have it but when you scan for a blue tooth device it still picked up on the transmitter that comes with an onstar car, and for whatever reason it would receive audio from inside the car, with the doors shut windows closed, and the phone outside. lol

Upvote 0
I'm laughing not at the op but at almost everyone else...

I find it funny no one has even brought up the possibility that that car may be designed for an onstar or similar service.

Now I know obviously if he had onstar he would know but the car interior probably still has the mic in the car somewhere even though he doesn't have the button in his car for the onstar service

a few years back my mom had an acura, some acuras come with onstar, some don't, our didnt have it but when you scan for a blue tooth device it still picked up on the transmitter that comes with an onstar car, and for whatever reason it would receive audio from inside the car, with the doors shut windows closed, and the phone outside. lol

I HIGHLY doubt that he was using a mic in the car, or even using the speakers as the mic, although it is possible. For this to happen, his auxilary cord would have to have the 3rd contact point on it, for the mic. Usually they have two; left and right. A third contact point would be needed for the mic. Take a look at any headphones that have an inline mic, and you will see what I am talking about (ie iPhone headphones).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones