• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Talking sorting hat for Halloween-- any ideas?

sonofaresiii

Android Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2011
NYC
Hey gang

So my girlfriend is throwing a Harry Potter themed party for Halloween, and I thought it would be great to have a Sorting Hat that actually recognized when it's being put on and could tell people what house they're in.

Conceptually, I have an idea to do it but no clue what the mechanics involved would be.

I'm thinking I would need a media device with an accelerometer to randomly play an audio file, connected to stripped head phone speakers, all rigged up inside the hat.

I've got a droid maxx and girlfriend has a galaxy s4, and an old razr m (I suspect if it's possible, any of those phones would work)

I would need some app that recognizes when the phone is being moved, and trigger a media player to randomly play one of four files announcing the house they've been sorted into.

Any thoughts? Is this something tasker can do? I've considered a few blue tooth options but that doesn't seem as fun.

Realized Tasker had a free trial, and it is indeed the answer! It's not perfect, but it pretty regularly does what I need it to do. For those wondering, I set the phone orientation state to vertical and had it play one of four audio files ripped from the movie of the sorting hat calling out houses. I'm gonna get it taped in there and I think it'll work, we'll just have to remember to leave the hat on its side when not in use. I tried using whenever the phone shakes as a trigger, but it would constantly trigger even when taking the hat off. If anyone knows of a way to maybe make sure it doesn't retrigger within, say, twenty seconds, let me know!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones