• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Task Manager alert -- Android OS High CPU usage

dave1812

Android Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2009
San Jose, CA
First time I've gotten this alert. Not rooted. Was in dock all night. Pulled it out of dock and within moments I got an alert I've not seen before, in the status bar. I went to the task manager to see what it was all about and the OS was using 54% of the CPU. Moments later it jumped to 80+ percent. WTH? It kept moving between 50-ish and 80+ from moment to moment.

I ended up shutting the phone off and restarting it. After doing that, no more alerts, but the first time I checked the OS following the restart, it was at 27%. Basically, it's now using a minimum of 16% and sometimes more than 25%, but never more than roughly 30%. IS THAT NORMAL?

oh, and as a test, I put it back in the dock for a moment or two, took it out, and no "high CPU usage" alerts.

Motorola Mobility's Twitter account had an update the night before that some of their GB phones may have temporary high battery usage due to the return to standard time on Sunday morning, and that a restart would resolve the issue. Perhaps this is what happened to you?

thanks.
I didn't check battery usage during the few minutes I saw the high CPU usage, but I guess that such a high CPU usage would drain the battery, had I not noticed as soon as I took the phone out of the dock. (i've never been in the habit of checking CPU usage before).

Upvote 0
CPU usage got so high I called tech support last night. They suggested I do a reset, which I did. No joy. Android OS CPU usage remains between 20-40+ % at all times. It's high even in safe mode. It was high after the reset, with no downloaded apps. My wife's Android OS CPU usage is nearly always ONE PERCENT. This is a pisser! I've wasted more than 3 hours on this and have the same problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones