• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tasker Help for new user

spew101

Oct 13, 2011
I am just starting to use Tasker during the trial period. I tried looking on the Wiki and some other forums, but they seem a bit confusing becuase the step by step walkthroughs seem to have different options that the Tasker version I am using (Not sure if its a newer verion or just different for my device which is a Bionic. Also, one of the features I am trying to use is to have the GPS turn on when I use Google Maps, then shut off again when I exit the app.

Also would like to have my Wifi turn on when I get to work, turn off when I leave. Same thing for when i get home.

Last task I would like is to set volume levels to a certain point from 11pm to 8am, but also have the auto-syn shut off during that period (I want my text notifications to come through, but dont want the email notifications) I currently manually shut it off before bed, but sometimes forget, then get woken up becuase of a spam email or something stupid.

So those are my main interests right now, I am sure I will add more as I get more comfortable with the app.

Thanks

Let's leave the GPS one alone for now, since GPS toggle via Tasker isn't possible in 2.3+ without root and the Secure Settings plugin app (or a special rooted rom).

For the other thing...

Basically you tap the green + sign to add a profile. Then it prompts you for a context. The context you want is Location. Find your location. It'll then prompt you for a task. The task category you want is Net. Then you want Wifi.

Upvote 0
Hopefully a moderator can move this to the Applications forum so you get more exposure.

The differences you're seeing are due to changes in Tasker as it has evolved; they're not device-specific.

For GPS, you need to create a new profile using an Application context, selecting Maps as the application. During creation of the profile you'll create an Enter Task with an Action of GPS On. If GPS is already on when you start Maps, Tasker will leave it on when you exit Maps. If GPS is off when you start Maps, Tasker will turn it off when you exit Maps. If you always want to turn GPS off when you exit Maps, you'll need to add an Exit Task to the profile. You can do this by tapping the Enter Task and selecting Add Exit Task. (Note: tapping and long-pressing behavior is configurable in Tasker, so the exact procedure may vary)

The procedure for setting up the other profiles is similar. For Wifi you would probably want to use a Location (net only, no GPS) or Wifi Near context (or both). For the auto-sync, you would use a Time context, possibly combined with a Docked context if you're using a detectable dock.

Upvote 0
I set up the 2 profiles based on Location to turn on Wifi at home and work, but it didnt seem to turn on the Wifi when I got to work this morning. I orginally had the GPS option turned on. I turned it off, hopefully that helps. What Radius should i use? Is the "M" stand for meters? I have read to use 500m, but is that too big of a range? Or do you need a bigger range since I am only using Net to determine my location, rather than GPS.

I found this for the GPS and it worked perfect

GPS Toggler v1.1 Solution

• Open Tasker
  • Create a new profile and name it

Upvote 0
The radius you should use varies by area. In my area, a net-only location can easily be off by up to 2 miles. I use a variation of Wifi Near to turn my Wifi on and off. I basically have it scan all day and connect when it can. This is done with two simple profiles.

Profile: Wifi Scan
Context: Wifi Near [Toggle Wifi: Yes]
Context: Display On
Enter Task: Stop

Profile: Wifi Connected
Context: Wifi Connected
Enter Task: Wifi On
Exit Task: Wifi Off

The Wifi Scan profile causes Tasker to scan Wifi at the configured intervals (defaults to every 10 minutes while the screen is off, and every 2 minutes while the screen is on). When if find that some Wifi is near, it does nothing (Stop). What this really does is cause Tasker to scan, and refresh the list of nearby Wifi networks. The Display On context (an event) only serves to keep this profile from cluttering up the list of active profiles.

During the Wifi scan, Android will connect to a known network if one is found during the scan. When this happens, the Wifi Connected profile turns Wifi On. I know, it's already on, but Tasker would normally turn it back off once the scan is complete, and this prevents that from happening. When Wifi disconnects (i.e. you've gone out of range), Wifi is turned off.

This works well for me, but could cause problems if you regularly connect to Wifi networks that require you to accept terms of service or to login before actually reaching the Internet.

Upvote 0
I cant seem to get any of the location context tasks to work properly. I have pinpointed the location on the map, used 500m as a radius, net is on, gps is off. And the task is to turn wifi on. what else could i try?

Same issue for my house. it wont turn on when i get home and didnt turn off when i left the house.

Upvote 0
I cant seem to get any of the location context tasks to work properly. I have pinpointed the location on the map, used 500m as a radius, net is on, gps is off. And the task is to turn wifi on. what else could i try?

Same issue for my house. it wont turn on when i get home and didnt turn off when i left the house.

Any chance a mod can merge these threads?

Anyway, when you're editing the location context, tap on the location icon on the lower right. It should quickly give you a report of the location accuracy. If the accuracy is greater than the radius you're using, Tasker is unlikely to ever activate the profile. In this case, you may need to bump up the radius and see if it helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones