• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Teaching Gramma to root her incredible

Thanks, I do have 2.3.4 and followed instructions for reinstalling clockwork but I guess for some reason it didn't take. I will keep trying.

edit: okay I see a problem, the file size of PB31IMG.zip is different from the originally named file; I'd made a copy and renamed it, but I remember accidentally pasting into that folder and getting an error message, I must have corrupted it. D'oh!

edit: WOOHOOOO, HAPPY DANCE!!!!!
All is well, I have a new superuser app, little android icon 3.0.7!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Mmolitor87 and also the others who offered input and help, thank you most of all for your time and patience!

I'm so happy.

Upvote 0
thank you! this sounds like a great beginner guide!

i still have a stock inc, don't have any issues with it (at least not yet), and am still running 2.2 (have ignored the 2.3 updates).

i've been debating rooting now as it appears simpler to do on 2.2 and before i start experiencing any "out of memory" or other common inc problems. i'm happy running 2.2 so i plan on skipping the gingerbread update part.

being proactive with something like this...
[MOD] Ext4 4 ALL! Gingerbread AOSP + GingerSense Update: 10/27 Normal dalvik fixed - xda-developers

Upvote 0
thank you! this sounds like a great beginner guide!

i still have a stock inc, don't have any issues with it (at least not yet), and am still running 2.2 (have ignored the 2.3 updates).

i've been debating rooting now as it appears simpler to do on 2.2 and before i start experiencing any "out of memory" or other common inc problems. i'm happy running 2.2 so i plan on skipping the gingerbread update part.

being proactive with something like this...
[MOD] Ext4 4 ALL! Gingerbread AOSP + GingerSense Update: 10/27 Normal dalvik fixed - xda-developers

In the end, it is up to you and your opinion is god in relation to your own phone. I will lay some things out for you, in the way that I view them.

Gingerbread itself is not the problem. It might be a small part of the problem, and only because with gingerbread comes more features and features tend to take up more space. Even so, it is going to be very limited. Most users run into issues because of a large amount of apps.

If being able to root easily in the future is your concern, get s-off. After that it doesn't matter what you do as long as you don't flash s-on.

I, personally, would recommend you get s-off, return to stock 2.2, upgrade to gingerbread, and see how you like it. Since you'll have s-off you can return to 2.2 if you wish, or you can root gingerbread.

If you eventually run into the low on space error with continued use of your phone (I've had mine for over a year and haven't) then you can apply the patch linked in that thread. It all depends on how you use your phone and what is right for you.

S-off is king. :p

Edit:

I replied here because I don't believe this is intrusive to the thread. For the very same reasons I listed above, I wrote the guide to help UnplugMe root her phone. I didn't recommend she return to stock because this is likely the last update this phone will get and having root won't hurt. If she ever needs it, she will have it without having to go through worrying about obtaining it. Kinda ripping off a band-aid at once sort of thing. Also, she has already run into the low on space once. Since you have not run into low on space, and have no specific purpose for root I made a different recommendation.

Reactions: j13smiley
Upvote 0
As far as my phone goes, everything is fine. I was familiar with Gingerbread because I'd played with it on my mother's phone, trying to get it set up for her vacation.

I did lose a few things but that was my own fault. In desperation over the Low On Space issue when installing Gingerbread, I did something that removed certain things like icons, bookmarks, wallpaper, etc., but didn't lose anything that couldn't be put back.

I'm thrilled with the phone now, my games are working normally, no loss of data, the phone is working well. I can now see how much data I've used in the data/data area. At the moment I have about 40MB free, but I'm quite sure Low On Space will still be an issue when I least expect it.

So I would like to add the fix. But MMolitor87, you have devoted so much of your time to help me I don't want to monopolize all your free time. Now that I have some experience with doing this sort of thing maybe I can manage it on my own. However I'm not sure which one to choose, if you have time to make a recommendation it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!

edited to add: The gingerbread update kept trying to download from Verizon the entire time I was going through the process. It was getting rather insistent, instead of two grey choices to install or "later," it was highlighting the install button. Just a heads up to anyone else like me who tries this.

Upvote 0
mmolitor87, your guide is amazing.I previously rooted with Unrevoked, but when I saw that you provided a guide to root and fix the low on space error I started to work my way through your step-by-step guide. I've run into a problem along the way and was hoping that you (or someone else knowledgeable) might be able to get me past my issue.

Following your instructions and taking into account that I was already rooted and s-off, I renamed the Gingerbread update and put it on the sd card.

When I boot into hboot, it first says hboot and then hboot usb plug.

Not prompted for install, so navigated into recovery. Got red triangle. Selected "Apply sdcard:update.zip"
Under the red triangle it says E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command

Following your directions, starts install from sd card. Display shows:

finding update package...
opening update package...
verifying update package...
installing update...
checking data partition for free space... (deleted a lot to get it past this part)
copying fotaBoot to /data/system for customize reload...
verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/CityID.apk", a6c4e46488071597dba5a5b0616eef13b6736149".
"a66a6f31558c6006d6985a6733ad1b93e4539546")
E:Error in/sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Might this have to do with the fact that I had previously deleted CityID?

Thank you for the guide, and in advance for any help you might be able to provide with my issue.

Upvote 0
mmolitor87, your guide is amazing.I previously rooted with Unrevoked, but when I saw that you provided a guide to root and fix the low on space error I started to work my way through your step-by-step guide. I've run into a problem along the way and was hoping that you (or someone else knowledgeable) might be able to get me past my issue.

Following your instructions and taking into account that I was already rooted and s-off, I renamed the Gingerbread update and put it on the sd card.

When I boot into hboot, it first says hboot and then hboot usb plug.

Not prompted for install, so navigated into recovery. Got red triangle. Selected "Apply sdcard:update.zip"
Under the red triangle it says E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command

Following your directions, starts install from sd card. Display shows:

finding update package...
opening update package...
verifying update package...
installing update...
checking data partition for free space... (deleted a lot to get it past this part)
copying fotaBoot to /data/system for customize reload...
verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/CityID.apk", a6c4e46488071597dba5a5b0616eef13b6736149".
"a66a6f31558c6006d6985a6733ad1b93e4539546")
E:Error in/sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Might this have to do with the fact that I had previously deleted CityID?

Thank you for the guide, and in advance for any help you might be able to provide with my issue.

That's exactly the case. My other thread, http://androidforums.com/incredible...ally-install-gingerbread-ota-s-if-rooted.html , users have run into the same problem. You'll need to restore those apps. I'd suggest backing up your current apps with titanium backup and restoring to stock 2.2, or restoring to stock 2.2 and carrying the missing apps over to your own nandroid backup of your current setup.

If you need more details on either method feel free to ask. :)

Upvote 0
When I try to reboot into recovery (either from ROM Manager or manually) I get the red triangle. I push volume up and power, but I never get the option to do nandroid or backup and restore. Choices are reboot now, apply sdcard update, wipe date/factory reset or wipe cache partition. Also, at the bottom it says E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command. If I try Backup current ROM in ROM Manager, I get the screen with the red triangle.

Frustratingly, I had backed up everything with Titanium Backup after rooting, but when I did whatever I did last night, I seem to have lost the backups. I had to reinstall Titanium and the backups aren't there. that's why I'm trying the nandroid route (and failing).

(By the way, please don't think because I rooted before that I have any idea what I'm really doing. I know just enough to get myself in trouble. ;))

Upvote 0
The red triangle is because you have update.zip on your card.

If you remove update.zip you'll find you boot into stock recovery because you started following the steps in this thread.

Find recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-inc_PB31IMG.zip and rename it to PB31IMG.zip. Select 'disk drive' place it on your SD card.

At this point you have a new feature on your phone called fastboot. We're going to disable this as it prevents entry into hboot. Proceed to Settings/Applications and uncheck it at the bottom.

Power the phone down and enter hboot by holding volume down and power. PB31IMG.zip will be loaded and you will be prompted to install. Navigate with power up/down to select 'yes' and hit the power button. Wait for it to finish, should be very quick. Reboot the phone.
And you'll be back on clockwork. Within clockwork you can go into backup & restore and make a nandroid backup. Then you're free to flash 2.2 stock, grab all of the apps from the system/apps folder using root explorer or android sdk. Once you have them safely on your computer or SD card, restore from your backup and add the apps into your system/apps folder. You may then apply the update.

OR

If you can get titanium backup to save your settings again, find them and copy them to your desktop...return to stock froyo and then restore your app settings after you flash clockwork and superuser again.

Upvote 0
Give me a bit and I'll have the apps in a zipped folder that users should be able to move into their apps folder and complete the install. :)

Sorry if I confused you! I'll clarify, I promise.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LFMLDGYX

That would be the stock apps that come with the phone. Put them on your sdcard and use root explorer (paid) or esfile explorer (enable root mode in preferences) to move all the apps you're missing to the system/apps folder.

Upvote 0
Don't apologize for confusing me! I really appreciate your help. I've made a bit of progress, I think, but still not total success.

I went through the list of apps that you sent and anything that was missing I put on my sd card. Then, using Root Explorer, I moved them all to system/apps folder. Hopefully this is right, but I then installed the ones that were missing.

I then tried to go back to stock by putting the stock zip you had in the other link on the sd card and installing it via ROM Manager. Not sure if that worked, but I think it did. Went on to try to flash clockwork recovery and I think I did. I was able to wipe the cache partition.

I formatted the sd card and installed stock recovery. I removed the zip from the card.

Put gingerbread on the sd and went into hboot. This is where things went bad. The update started, but when it got to 'checking data partition free space', the phone rebooted. Got a message that I don't have enough free space to install the system update.

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
@fran

1.) Download the RUU to your PC, save to desktop:
Stock Gingerbread (2.3.4. build 4.08.605.2 final Gingerbread)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BJZX5B1Q
MD5: d25483fc58cc344a5b23aba3813f1341

2.) Connect phone to PC in charge only mode, then launch the RUU program. Follow the steps as indicated to update to the newest Gingerbread.

3.) Once the phone is updated and back up and running, go to Menu > Settings > Applications and uncheck the box for Fastboot.

4.) The RUU unrooted you and replaced the stock recovery so follow the steps in the OP of this thread to regain root, clockwork recovery and Superuser:
http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/420788-how-regain-root-s-off.html

5.) Go here and download the no_data_limit_normal_dalvik zip near the bottom of the OP:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1315372

Download to PC, then hook phone to PC in disk drive mode. Access the SD card and drag/drop the newly acquired zip from PC desktop to the SD card. When done, swipe down notification bar, change to charge only and disconnect phone from usb cable.

6.) Power down phone. Press and hold the volume down key while also pressing the power button until the hboot screen appears. Use volume keys to scroll to recovery. When highlighted, press power button once to enter clockwork again. Flash the no_data_limit_normal_dalvik zip exactly as you did the Superuser zip earlier during step 4.

Once rebooted, you will now be on the newest GB, rooted with Clockwork and Superuser in addition to the "low space" fix being applied.

Upvote 0
Thanks, Iowa. A question before I do this. It says I'll lose all my data if I do this. If I back up with Titanium will I be able to get everything back, or will I have to move that backup somewhere off phone to save it somewhere before I run the ruu?

You can get it back with Titanium. Just be sure to restore market apps only. No system data, it's too problematic. Take this opportunity to start fresh, it won't take long to get things set up.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones