• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tethering with PDAnet/FoxFi

myc8e

Lurker
Jun 11, 2015
So I was fed up with my 4-5 yr. old Bionic, but was grandfathered into unlimited data and enjoyed tethering the rooted phone with the native tethering feature. I saw a Verizon store and asked if I could get a new phone at contract price without losing unlimited data. They said "You shouldn't, but we might be able to swing it", and they did. I chose the G4 having no idea it was just released that day. I got it for the removable battery. I have been out of the loop for so long (Bionic, anyone?), I thought all phones could be rooted, so I was mad when I got home with my new phone and found out it couldn't be rooted. So I installed PDAnet. It worked straight away... for a few hours. After that, when I connected the phone to the PC, it wouldn't get recognized. I then installed the drivers from LG's site in stead of the one the app installed, and I disabled the "Verify apps over USB" developer option, and all is well. I can tether to a PC, then have the PC act as the wifi hotspot without a glitch. So if anyone is wondering if you can tether... yes you can. I don't imagine there are too many G4 users with unlimited data, however, so probably nobody cares. But if you do, this could be nice to know!

Reactions: mikedt

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones