1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

General Text error message

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BoldBelvoir, Aug 11, 2009.

1. BoldBelvoir

BoldBelvoir Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Hi all

I'm new to the G1, having acquired an unlocked phone, now working on the Virgin network (UK). I have ironed out all problems and queries, with one exception.

When booting the phone, I always get the message 'Sorry the sending of txt messages to this number is not possible.', which I have to dismiss about 9 or 10 times. The message then periodically appears at random throughout the day.

I have contacted both T-mobile and HTC about this problem, who just either refered me to the manual, instructed to delete all text threads or instructed me to do a factory reset (all of which I did), but no difference.

I was originally running Android 1.1, now upgraded to 1.5 and the problem still persists.

I swapped the Virgin SIM for a PAYG T-Mobile SIM and the messages seem to stop, so the problem seems to be related to the Virgin network? Maybe there's an APN setting I can tweak somewhere that I haven't tried.

I must stress SMS and MMS works, send and receive, but I get these erroneous messages which are driving me nuts!

Any ideas? Thanks for looking,

Advertisement

2. Alkie Q

Alkie Q New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    I too am having exactly the same problem and have tried everything as detailed above. It would be great if anyone has an answer to this.

Main difference is I am running 1.6

3. Sweed

Sweed Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2009
    by virgin do you mean virgin mobile?
    I wasn't aware that they used sim cards.

the problem may vary well be the apn settings if virgin runs on a different frequency than t-mobile.
    I think sms would be sent through 2g/edge networks.
    if you don't have that then that could be why
    it can't send the message through,
    still, from what I know about sms, that error makes no sense to me.

4. Alkie Q

Alkie Q New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Thanks for your response. Yes I do mean Virgin Mobile, I have a pay monthly SIM. I have no problem sending or receiving SMS or MMS and the internet works fine. It's just if I do not use my phone for a while, say overnight, I have to acknowledge 10 - 20 messages of (Sorry the sending of text messages to this number is not possible). These appear without any actions being performed on the phone.

I have my APN Settings as follows

Name: Virgin
    APN: gotovirginmobile.uk
    Proxy: 193.30.166.003
    Port: 8080
    Username: user
    Password: <not set>
    Server: <not set>
    MMSC: http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk:8002
    MMS proxy: 193.30.166.002
    MMS port:8080
    MCC: 234
    MNC: 30
    APN type: default

Thanks again for your response. Any thoughts or suggestions would be really welcome as this is driving me mad! :mad:

5. yyouask

yyouask New Member

Feb 23, 2010
    I hate to be a me too but ... me too. Just got a Virgin Media 20 quid pay as you go unlimited web per day and everything works - sms, mms, web - but that message keeps popping up when I haven't used the phone for a while. Standard G1 phone with US Tmobile but unlocked before I came over.

6. Alkie Q

Alkie Q New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Yyouask, I have exactly the same phone as you, bronze US version that I bought from ebay unlocked. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but for some reason my phone is fine now. It just sorted itself out. Did you create a new APN shown below?

Name: Virgin
    APN: gotovirginmobile.uk
    Proxy: 193.30.166.003
    Port: 8080
    Username: user
    Password: <not set>
    Server: <not set>
    MMSC: http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk:8002
    MMS proxy: 193.30.166.002
    MMS port:8080
    MCC: 234
    MNC: 30
    APN type: default

The only things I think may have changed on my phone is I now use taskkiller(android Market). Other than this I'm not sure, you could always try Virgin

7. yyouask

yyouask New Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Alkie Q, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I saw it just when I was at the airport heading back to the States and didn't get a chance to play with the APN settings. However, I did take a very quick look at the default APN settings and they were all tmobile UK settings so I suspect your advice would have done the trick.

Thanks again.

Tags: