• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Text error message

BoldBelvoir

Aug 11, 2009
Hi all

I'm new to the G1, having acquired an unlocked phone, now working on the Virgin network (UK). I have ironed out all problems and queries, with one exception.

When booting the phone, I always get the message 'Sorry the sending of txt messages to this number is not possible.', which I have to dismiss about 9 or 10 times. The message then periodically appears at random throughout the day.

I have contacted both T-mobile and HTC about this problem, who just either refered me to the manual, instructed to delete all text threads or instructed me to do a factory reset (all of which I did), but no difference.

I was originally running Android 1.1, now upgraded to 1.5 and the problem still persists.

I swapped the Virgin SIM for a PAYG T-Mobile SIM and the messages seem to stop, so the problem seems to be related to the Virgin network? Maybe there's an APN setting I can tweak somewhere that I haven't tried.

I must stress SMS and MMS works, send and receive, but I get these erroneous messages which are driving me nuts!

Any ideas? Thanks for looking,

by virgin do you mean virgin mobile?
I wasn't aware that they used sim cards.

the problem may vary well be the apn settings if virgin runs on a different frequency than t-mobile.
I think sms would be sent through 2g/edge networks.
if you don't have that then that could be why
it can't send the message through,
still, from what I know about sms, that error makes no sense to me.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your response. Yes I do mean Virgin Mobile, I have a pay monthly SIM. I have no problem sending or receiving SMS or MMS and the internet works fine. It's just if I do not use my phone for a while, say overnight, I have to acknowledge 10 - 20 messages of (Sorry the sending of text messages to this number is not possible). These appear without any actions being performed on the phone.

I have my APN Settings as follows

Name: Virgin
APN: gotovirginmobile.uk
Proxy: 193.30.166.003
Port: 8080
Username: user
Password: <not set>
Server: <not set>
MMSC: http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk:8002
MMS proxy: 193.30.166.002
MMS port:8080
MCC: 234
MNC: 30
APN type: default

Thanks again for your response. Any thoughts or suggestions would be really welcome as this is driving me mad! :mad:

Upvote 0
Yyouask, I have exactly the same phone as you, bronze US version that I bought from ebay unlocked. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but for some reason my phone is fine now. It just sorted itself out. Did you create a new APN shown below?

Name: Virgin
APN: gotovirginmobile.uk
Proxy: 193.30.166.003
Port: 8080
Username: user
Password: <not set>
Server: <not set>
MMSC: http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk:8002
MMS proxy: 193.30.166.002
MMS port:8080
MCC: 234
MNC: 30
APN type: default

The only things I think may have changed on my phone is I now use taskkiller(android Market). Other than this I'm not sure, you could always try Virgin

Upvote 0
Alkie Q, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I saw it just when I was at the airport heading back to the States and didn't get a chance to play with the APN settings. However, I did take a very quick look at the default APN settings and they were all tmobile UK settings so I suspect your advice would have done the trick.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones