• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Text Message Alert on Locked Screen

I have just switch from the iPhone to the Note 2. My wife and I were both due for an upgrade so we got her the Galaxy 3. On her phone when she recieves a message a circle appears on her locked screen to let her know she has a new message. Is there any way to set the Note 2 to have the same circle alert?
Thanks...
In settings do you have "with swipe lock" enabled (checked)?

• Settings
  • Lock screen
  • With swipe lock
I cant imagine something this simple would be removed by ANY carrier.
Here's mine on Sprint.

2012-12-21232432.png

Upvote 0
Mix, change your screen lock to PIN instead of Swipe.
You should then see additional lock screen options.

EDIT
I should have said change it to Pattern, Pin, or Password.
I didn't try motion, face unlock, or face/voice because I don't trust that type of unlock.

Changed it to PIN and enabled use with swipe and still no little circle thingy. This is with sending a text to myself from another phone.

uploadfromtaptalk1356170513544.jpg

Upvote 0
One thing I can't figure out is how to draw on a picture. I does not give you that option
when you bring up the menu when viewing a pic in the gallery. I think its missing on att note 2's I've seen it on other note 2s I think it's called quik edit or something.

It is missing on at least half of the Note II made for the US. I am pretty sure it is missing on both Verizon and AT&T. I think Tmobile and Sprint have it. It is missing Photo Editor, and the only way for us to get it is to download the .apk file from someone's program dump. It is in the Play store and Samsung App store, but our phone models are listed as not compatible and won't let us download it.

If you want to get around that without downloading the apk. One way I found is to use the s-pen to take a screenshot of your photo by holding the s-pen button and hold it on the screen for 1-2 seconds. Right after you took that screenshot, it will have a 'quick' version of the edit which let you draw on the pic. It doesn't have the full features of photo edit but good enough if you just want to draw a few quick arrows or comments.

Reactions: pablo7
Upvote 0
One thing I can't figure out is how to draw on a picture. I does not give you that option
when you bring up the menu when viewing a pic in the gallery. I think its missing on att note 2's I've seen it on other note 2s I think it's called quik edit or something.

It is missing on at least half of the Note II made for the US. I am pretty sure it is missing on both Verizon and AT&T. I think Tmobile and Sprint have it. It is missing Photo Editor, and the only way for us to get it is to download the .apk file from someone's program dump. It is in the Play store and Samsung App store, but our phone models are listed as not compatible and won't let us download it.

If you want to get around that without downloading the apk. One way I found is to use the s-pen to take a screenshot of your photo by holding the s-pen button and hold it on the screen for 1-2 seconds. Right after you took that screenshot, it will have a 'quick' version of the edit which let you draw on the pic. It doesn't have the full features of photo edit but good enough if you just want to draw a few quick arrows or comments.
In order to draw on the FRONT of a pic you need to make a copy (screen shot) of that picture. Once you do click menu, then advanced edit. You will then get a pop up menu. It'll say Photo Editor or Paper Artist. If you don't have Photo Editor installed click it and you'll go to Samsung's Apps to download it.

Until you make a copy of the pic you want to write on the FRONT, all writing will be on the BACK of the pic.

Upvote 0
In order to draw on the FRONT of a pic you need to make a copy (screen shot) of that picture. Once you do click menu, then advanced edit. You will then get a pop up menu. It'll say Photo Editor or Paper Artist. If you don't have Photo Editor installed click it and you'll go to Samsung's Apps to download it.

Until you make a copy of the pic you want to write on the FRONT, all writing will be on the BACK of the pic.

With Verizon we have to side load the APK for Photo Editor. Verizon makes things difficult.

You can also draw on the front of a pic by going to gallery, hitting menu, advanced edit and choosing photo editor.

Upvote 0

The thing is that if you are on AT&T and Verizon, the Samsung App won't let you download it because our model numbers are listed as incompatible on both Samsung App store and Google Play store. Only way for AT&T and Verizon to get Photo Editor is to find the .apk and use that.

Without Photo Editor, we could still draw on the picture by the s-pen screenshot method. ONLY the s-pen screenshot (holding the button and tap and hold screen) would bring up the "quick and dirty" version of the draw on pic option. There is no other ways that I could find to get into that mode.

Upvote 0
With Verizon we have to side load the APK for Photo Editor. Verizon makes things difficult.

You can also draw on the front of a pic by going to gallery, hitting menu, advanced edit and choosing photo editor.

99% of the pics I write on are all screen shots.
When I pull the pic straight from gallery it never let's me write directly on front.
I'm not interested in writing on the back of a pic no one else but me can see.

At this point I guess I'm no longer surprised by the things AT&T or Verizon have removed.
Seems so silly to me to take out useful features.
What did they replace those features with?

Upvote 0
It does after you load the APK for the app. Out of the box it doesn't have the Photo Editor app.

Ah okay then. But actually for AT&T, even after you install it, it doesn't have an option calls "Advanced Edit". It only has Paper Artist. But interesting enough, when you click Paper Artist, it will now give you another menu to pick either Paper Artist or Photo Editor after I installed the apk. Very strange.

Upvote 0
Ah okay then. But actually for AT&T, even after you install it, it doesn't have an option calls "Advanced Edit". It only has Paper Artist. But interesting enough, when you click Paper Artist, it will now give you another menu to pick either Paper Artist or Photo Editor after I installed the apk. Very strange.

That is strange considering Photo Editor and Paper Artist are 2 separate apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones