• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Text Message Threads Merging Together

Jethro

Nov 10, 2009
Hi, I'm trying to figure out why my text message 'conversations' are merging so that they get lumped under one main 'person'?

I've only had the phone a couple days, so not a ton of messages yet. But a couple of times now, all messages have gotten 'lumped' together under one user, regardless of who they are received from or sent to.

The first time it happened, I cleared the entire thread. But now it's happening again. Even forwarding a message to someone else gets included in the same thread.

But it seems as if the messages are going to the right people, not sure. The problem is hitting 'reply'. Not sure who will get it.

Last night I downloaded the Handcent SMS client, and am using that now (disabled the notifications, etc., in the default SMS client). The HTC SMS widget seems to work OK with the Handcent client thankfully, but it is only showing the last 'conversation' of a long thread. So not sure if it's a default message app issue or not.

- Any ideas???

THANKS!

It doesn't seem to affect what shows up in "Messages" app so if I want to know what happened to a message or where one came from I think that is still accurate but I've got to test it. I get a text from Bank of America every Monday letting me know my balance. Every text I send and receive seems to get lumped in that thread.

Even after I delete the thread, it's weird. I've tried to see if the email address that they text from is in my contacts somewhere as a default contact for something but I can't find it anywhere. It's really frustrating.

Sometimes the texts I send don't get sent. It doesn't matter that I select the right contact. When I hit send, the correct contact is displayed but as soon as I back into the main screen, it's lumped with the thread from HELL!! Please help and/or fix this :thinking:

Upvote 0
thats how its supposed to be..

+1

e-mails have quasi-unique identifiers in them that allow mail apps to group them together as a "thread", but SMS/MMS messages do not.

The metaphor of a "thread" does not really exist with SMS, so the fact that the Eris uses that language during deletion ("The entire thread will be deleted") is unfortunate.

On the other hand, if you send a text message to multiple recipients, the HTC SMS app will show that message separately in the "thread view" from messages sent to only one of the recipients in that group. Not only that, but when one of the recipients responds back to you, that response shows up in a separate "thread". So, there is vague appearance of maintaining a "thread", but that's not what is going on.

And the deletion message ("The entire thread will be deleted") can't really be changed to "all texts to and from this user will be deleted", because that's not really what will happen either.

I can definitely see why you might perceive this as "merging", especially if you routinely send texts to more than one recipient - when you send, they appear in a standalone group, but if any of the recipients reply back to you, those responses appear in a different grouping - under their own name.

Probably HTC should just get rid of the feature which displays messages grouped by "sent to multiple users" - as it is, it doesn't match the recipient numbers to the contacts anyway.

eu1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones