• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Text Messages ACTUAL Time Sent

booser4

Sep 30, 2009
San Diego, CA
I've searched this out a bit and only found a rough answer on the old Hero forum, so wanted to make sure there isn't a more updated answer with the Incredible.

I'm using the stock messaging app included with the phone. I noticed very quickly that any text messages that were sent to me while the phone was off or in airplane mode obviously wouldn't come through to the phone until I turned it back on or took it out of airplane mode. This is normal, but I realized the text messages that come through once I power on the phone show only the time I received them at, not the ACTUAL time the person sent it out to me.

On all my old phones I could see when the person actually sent the messsage. Is there a way to get this information on the Incredible, or do I need to download a different text app to view this?

Simple example: Someone sends me a text at 7am, but my phone is off because I'm asleep. I wake up at 10am and turn my phone on. The phone then receives the text message that was sent at 7am, but it does not show me that anywhere, it just shows that I received it at 10am. I'd like to be able to see the 7am time.

Thanks for any help with this. :)

Wow really? There's gotta be an app out there that somehow lets you see the original time the text message was sent to you. The function can't be that difficult if way older phones like the LG EnV, Treo 700w, etc... have it. Just naming those cause those were some of my old crappy phones that did provide you the proper info.

Edit - yeah even the message details only tells you the time it came to your phone (which in this case is only right when you turned it back on or brought it out of airplane mode) not the original date / time it was sent by the sender.

The information is very useful, because sometimes text messages dont make any sense unless you know what time they were sent.

Like if someone says "Hey we're at xxxx xxxx, and we'll be here for another hour."

Stuff like that you need to know when it was sent if you can't get through to the person again.

Upvote 0
I'm not too sure about the specifics of how it works, but it does normally work fine on any old phone I've ever had. The message shows the time that person sent it to you. Really hope there's some app to be able to see the original sent time. Otherwise is there a way to contact Android / Google and ask them to address it?

Maybe I'll throw a post up at XDA as well, see if they know of anything.

Upvote 0
On my EnV2 it would say, for example:
Sent: June 24 10:00 AM
Stored: June 24 10:45 AM
But this phone just has the time that it was received to the phone. I don't believe you would need to tap into the other person's network because Verizon's network receives the message and waits to send it to your phone I believe. I was able to have this feature no matter what carrier the other person was on.

Upvote 0
I've already answered this a few times..

The time shown is the last time verizon pushed out the message. So if a message is sent at 11:00 and your phone is off, verizon keeps pushing the message every X seconds. When you receive it, the time shown is when it was received from Verizon. So it's not a bug, just the way the network handles it.

Blame Verizon :)

Upvote 0
Never said it was a bug, I just want to see the actual time a message is sent not when Verizon gets it to my phone. I have teenagers that I need to keep track of and knowing when they actually sent the text is extremely helpful. Whether its a setting that can be changed or an app I can use, I just want to have my incoming messages labeled with the time sent.

Upvote 0
Never said it was a bug, I just want to see the actual time a message is sent not when Verizon gets it to my phone. I have teenagers that I need to keep track of and knowing when they actually sent the text is extremely helpful. Whether its a setting that can be changed or an app I can use, I just want to have my incoming messages labeled with the time sent.

Id like to have this too. I think its and Android issue. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Upvote 0
I've already answered this a few times..

The time shown is the last time verizon pushed out the message. So if a message is sent at 11:00 and your phone is off, verizon keeps pushing the message every X seconds. When you receive it, the time shown is when it was received from Verizon. So it's not a bug, just the way the network handles it.

Blame Verizon :)
No, it's definitely not Verizon. I just migrated from another phone (a 2 year old moto z6c, not even a smart phone) that always showed when texts were sent, regardless of whether the phone was off.

This is such a big problem that I'm actually considering returning the phone. It effectively means I can't turn the phone off or use airplane mode. I would gladly pay for an app that fixes this.

Upvote 0
My problem is exactly the same only worse.
I never turn my phone off but because I live in an area where the signal is unreliable I often receive texts which are several hours late, sometimes not till the next day.
It is extremely important that I find out when they were actually sent.
As others have said, this has never been a problem before. Every phone i have had over several years has had this facility.
iphones still do have it.
Not having it is such a backward step.:mad:

Upvote 0
This is still a problem, as my new Droid Bionic has this issue.

My old Droid Incredible had this problem until I rooted it with Incredibly Re-Engineered, and then it displayed the time the the message was actually sent, and not the time that it was received at the handset.

Before that my LG Dare always worked in the "correct" fashion and displayed the message time sent.

Upvote 0
I've searched this out a bit and only found a rough answer on the old Hero forum, so wanted to make sure there isn't a more updated answer with the Incredible.

I'm using the stock messaging app included with the phone. I noticed very quickly that any text messages that were sent to me while the phone was off or in airplane mode obviously wouldn't come through to the phone until I turned it back on or took it out of airplane mode. This is normal, but I realized the text messages that come through once I power on the phone show only the time I received them at, not the ACTUAL time the person sent it out to me.

On all my old phones I could see when the person actually sent the messsage. Is there a way to get this information on the Incredible, or do I need to download a different text app to view this?

Simple example: Someone sends me a text at 7am, but my phone is off because I'm asleep. I wake up at 10am and turn my phone on. The phone then receives the text message that was sent at 7am, but it does not show me that anywhere, it just shows that I received it at 10am. I'd like to be able to see the 7am time.

Thanks for any help with this. :)

Hi there. There was an app I found called "Sms sent time fix". It's a recent app that has been added to the market about a month ago. I downloaded it and it fixes the issue. All you have to do is download the app, then click settings and check mark the box that says "Timezone fix #1" (Before I checkmarked the box, it had the hour [which the msg was actually sent] off so if the hours are off at first, checkmark that box.) Hopefully this fixes your issue! Thank you!

Reactions: booser4
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones