• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Text Messages Disappearing

Just happened to me one week after updating to 2.2. All message threads from both Handcent and native messaging app (both use the same database) are gone. So it seems it's a database thing. I read a post on another forum site that said this was a known SQLite bug that was supposed to be fixed in 2.2. Apparently Google knows but has said, and now apparently done, nothing about it. What other data will be randomly deleted from my phone ???????? 'cmon guys. This is basic software stuff. Hire some kid out of college and I'm sure in about a day he/she will have it debugged for you. Eeeeeeek!

Upvote 0
There are several apps that can be used to back-up txt messages.

that said, your phone was designed to support txting NOT to store thousands of txt messages for years on end. Dumb phones used to handle this by just "rolling" over old txts, new smart phones give you a lot more options for handling txts but they still have limitations.

I would recommend anyone who txts a lot install a txt purging program, there's several decent ones out there...

Upvote 0
This happened to me today. I had 2 unread txt, I went to open handsent and all my txts were gone, even the new ones. Thought it was handsent messing up so I power cycled the phone but still no luck, then checked the stock message app and they were gone from that as well. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the amount of txts on the phone, I had probably close to 2000 total but its a pain in the ass. I lost alot of pictures and stuff.

Upvote 0
What text messaging app are you guys using?... seems all that info is stored within a given app.

If it dissappears, I would think its the apps fault rather than the phone.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Handcent several times and every time my text messages came back but when I installed Chomp, I started with a fresh slab... that tells me they are stored in the app.

Do you guys have the same messaging app in common?

Upvote 0
This happened to me today. It said I had a new text message in the notification bar. When I unlocked my phone and went to the text message widget (the one that comes with the phone) it simply says "No messages"

Tried rebooting, nothing. I don't have the "delete old messages" option checked and never have. No way I went over any sort of limit on the phone storage as I probably only had 300 or so messages total.

I only use the phone's built in text messaging and don't have any other 3rd party text messaging apps installed.

Upvote 0
I'm not using any anti-virus program, and this morning I woke up to all my text messages gone. I'm using the stock "messaging" widget and have never had a problem. Fortunately, I rooted a couple weeks ago (to remove the bloatware, I'm still running the stock rom/image) and at that time I backed up all my text messages. So I've only lost a couple weeks worth. Anyone figure out why this is happening and if there is a way to restore all of them before I just restore from the backup file??

Upvote 0
Have had text messages and emails disappear from my incredible since updating to 2.2 operating system. Have spent over 3 hours the last 2 days with HTC and Verizon. They cannot fix the problem. HTC and Verizon know the problem that the upgrade to the 2.2 operating system will cause text messages and emails to disappear. It appears the only fix is to get an Iphone.

Reactions: cjudge90
Upvote 0
I restored my texts (fortunately i had backed them up) and just threw an app on my phone that I have set to backup my texts to my gmail account once a week. That and I'm now playing with ChompSMS..

What app did you use for backing up messages to gmail? I lost all of mine too that I've had since getting the phone in May. 2 hours ago they were there and now they're all gone.

Upvote 0
cant say i've ever had that issue unless your phone has crashed and rebooted during the night. as for recovering them it is possible provided your phone hasnt done much saving.
it works in the same principle as a pc harddrive, when somethign is deleted it isnt technically removed from your memory but stored, hidden away and is over written when something is saved.

check this link out:

How To Recover Deleted Text Messages From Mobile Phone - Retrieve Accidentally Deleted Text Messages, Contact Numbers and Other Data On Sim Card

it may help you out, i'm sure there must be a free equivelent as opposed to a trial version but thats down to you to look for.

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0
There is another thread about this that's probably a few pages back. It happened to me as well, and as far as I know, no one knows why this is happening. From my search on the many different android forums / verizon forums, it appears that this has happened to at least 100 or so incredible users since the 2.2 update and there appears to be no explanation. I just installed an SMS backup program which backups my texts to my google account..

Upvote 0
Mine did the exact same thing yesterday. At the time, it was also mixing up contact information on text messages. I.e. texts from John say they're from Mary, and then the replies go to Mary instead of back to John. A reboot seemed to fix that but the text messages never did come back. The suggestion about finding an SMS program seems like it might be a good idea if you get important messages that you can't afford to lose. In my case, it was only a few photos that I'm bummed I hadn't saved, but nothing major.

I use Chomp SMS on 2.2.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones