• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

texting app that plays well with imessage?

gale65

Android Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2012
indiana
My son got an iphone (iOS 9) and uses imessage. He has noticed that many times, texts from anyone with an android phone are delayed-sometimes by hours. He's updated and done all the fixes that the apple sites recommend. I was wondering if there's an android app that I can use that will interact better with imessage users? I use Go SMS now but am not opposed to trying a different SMS app, IF it works better for texting him. It really stinks to text to him that I'm at the store to see if he needs anything, and by the time he gets the text and replies, I'm on the way home or already home.

I've been using fb messenger instead but sometimes internet is painfully slow in town so I'd rather find a good compatible SMS app instead.

My son got an iphone (iOS 9) and uses imessage. He has noticed that many times, texts from anyone with an android phone are delayed-sometimes by hours. He's updated and done all the fixes that the apple sites recommend. I was wondering if there's an android app that I can use that will interact better with imessage users? I use Go SMS now but am not opposed to trying a different SMS app, IF it works better for texting him. It really stinks to text to him that I'm at the store to see if he needs anything, and by the time he gets the text and replies, I'm on the way home or already home.

I've been using fb messenger instead but sometimes internet is painfully slow in town so I'd rather find a good compatible SMS app instead.
This one is very good, my wife always used Iphones and I’m Android freak.
53f24e6cb0857fe1d839438bd6918735.jpg

Upvote 0
Textra, Hangouts and suprisingly, my stock LG messaging app work well.

I had to tweak my APN settings to a "combination" of T-Mobile and MetroPCS.

Also, the iphone users in my family have to set their iPhones to whatever setting they use to take our SMS messages.

But, yeah, that's why I hate Apple too. :p

Upvote 0
double checked his settings. I sent a text from chomp and 2 hours later he still didn't get it. So I resent it and nothing. Then all at once he got both texts. Then sent one from yaata and another from chomp and he got both of those right away. It's as if once he finally gets one, he gets them right away for a while and then when there are no texts for a few hours it stalls again.

I'll try textra next but I have a feeling it'll be the same-not consistent.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it would probably be more across the board-ish I'd think.
Have AT&T take a look at it, maybe he needs a new SIM. You aren't having issues other than with him?
Will at&t do that if it's on a straight talk plan? The only other person I know with an iphone is my sister, and she hasn't mentioned my texts being delayed. I believe she's using AT&T as well but she lives in a different state.

eta: I did sent straight talk a support ticket but they just recommended restarting the phone and the app. They aren't usually very helpful. I also asked at the walmart wireless store and they just said to make sure his OS is updated but that they had heard of others having the same issue with no resolution.

Upvote 0
It's a locked phone so I can't even see the APN. I was just going by the fact that data, talk and most texting works fine. After we've had it for a year I can have it unlocked and I'm guessing at that time I can alter the APN. If I was going to compare it to something I guess I'd look at my own phone (which is an unlocked nexus 5).

Upvote 0
I'm wondering now if it's a network issue. We noticed that sometimes when my phone has a good signal, his doesn't. I took it to the wireless kiosk and they said they think it has a a t-mobile sim in it. Apparently t-mobile doesn't have a good signal here so now I'm on chat with ST to try to get an AT&T sim.

Upvote 0
Sorry-I didn't get notifications of the last posts. The original phone was supposedly locked to straight talk. I bought the phone from walmart online and it came with a sim card. The problem is that when you order it, you can't choose which carrier you want. That's why the local store stopped selling these particular models-they kept getting verizon phones in and they don't work in our area. I read that they can be or may be unlocked already but I didn't try to see if it would accept a different sim card-I didn't have a lot of time to play with it since the deadline to return it was closing in on me. I ended up ditching straight talk altogether and got him an at&t gophone. Now imessage works fine so it was apparently a network issue all along.

Oh and I called apple and they said they 100% could not exchange it. For one thing they no longer sell the 5S in the store and also, they won't exchange something they didn't sell me.

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones