• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Texts being sent to the wrong person??

Had the same problem with Handcent. I was messaging a friend when a SMS notification from Facebook came in. A little while later, I get a message from my wife saying that my comments to her Facebook post didn't make since. Seems that the messages I was sending to my friend started going to my wife's Facebook post instead. Luckily my messages were innocent.

Had this happen multiple times. Finally removed Handcent, e-mailed the developer (haven't heard back yet), and went back to using the stock SMS app. No problems using it. Hope the problem is fixed soon. I really prefer Handcent over stock.

Upvote 0
I am staying away from anything other than stock for a while. Too risky. I luckily didn't put myself in a bad spot with any texts that went to the wrong people, but it would only be a matter of time. I wish there was a way to change the colors in stock and it would be all I need.

Upvote 0
I have been having this problem since I purchased my phone last July!! It's a Samsung Fascinate, and the first day I had it, it began sending texts to the wrong person. I'd be in a thread with someone, have NO other threads open, and suddenly, after hitting send, the name on the top of the screen would change and the text would go to that (wrong) person. No stopping it once it's sent, either. I brought it back to the Verizon store and the employee I worked with had me change to the Handcent app. That fixed the problem, it seemed...until it came back a couple weeks ago! A Verizon wireless support tech had me switch back to the stock sms app, claiming that this problem had been fixed on that app. Well..that was last week, guess what happened today? Yup. Got a text from a friend (brand new text that they initiated, no other threads open), I replied, and got a message from my husband saying "???". Because the text went to him instead!!!! I called Verizon again, this time they had me do a total reset on the phone. I'm reading in lots of forums, though, that the reset doesn't seem to fix the problem. This has apparently been going on for a few years. HOW CAN THAT BE??? This is a major privacy issue, I don't understand how the FCC hasn't stepped in (it's been reported to them, according to some forums I've read). This is an issue that can potentially ruin someone's life - I'm so blown away by how long this has been happening to people! I JUST did the reset, but of course there's no way to know if that will help or not until I've been texting for a while. It happens randomly, not every day..so there's no way of knowing. I have a feeling Verizon has no clue how to fix this (that would not surprise me..I worked for them -not wireless, landline, but still..for 17 years) and are just hoping I'll go away. UGH!!

Upvote 0
I have been having this problem since I purchased my phone last July!!

Just to throw this out there: First, the Fascinate forums would be more appropriate for you, as not every phone, build, app, etc, are equal. So a solution for one might not be the same for others. As for the causes, it can be many. With the Galazy Nexus for example, most of the issues were just because the major players (Handcent, GO SMS), hadn't yet been bug-fixed for ICS. The stock app rarely had this happen, if memory serves.

Also, the whole FCC thing...wellllll....as far as privacy goes, I think you're gonna have a little bit of a hard time getting through all that stuff, just because of that. It's almost like saying that if you pass someone a note in study hall and someone else happens to grab it off the desk first, that somehow it's illegal or something. Just as in e-mail, and everything else electronic, if it's THAT sensitive, it shouldn't be done via text. Also can't blame the carrier all the time for everything. Sometimes, cross-carrier messages get borked. It even says that in fine-print somewhere for some of them, I think. Also, you mentioned that the VZW guy put Handcent on and it was working, then the issue came back. You failed to mention if you had ever updated that app, if you uninstalled and tried stock again, whether your buddy/dad/etc are on the same carrier, etc.

Again, I'd suggest the Fascinate Forum, with a little more detail to your specific case (without the whole anti-Verizon overtones that it seems to have), and see if they can uncover it more. Again, is your phone stock, is it rooted, what apps do you have, etc.

Reactions: snuggles
Upvote 0
Thanks, I'll try there. As to the FCC comment, I mentioned it because I ran across other forums in which people mentioned they'd reported it to them. Not because I planned to do so. It does seem to be a bit of a privacy issue, though. Leaving your phone around for someone else to pick up and look through is one thing - sending a text to someone specific and having it randomly go to a completely different person (and in my case, some have had the same carrier, some have not, and none are people with whom I already have an open message thread..it just picks someone and off it goes) is a little different. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a text to go to the person it was sent to, not to someone else altogether. I did update the Handcent app regularly, and I did mention that Verizon had me uninstall that app and reinstall the stock app as a fix..which didn't work. I'm not sure if my phone is rooted, I'm tech-impaired and don't know what that means. But not even totally resetting the phone fixed the problem - and it appears Google has admitted it's a Droid problem, not something app or phone specific. Now Verizon (and I'm NOT anti-Verizon, it just frustrates me that every tech I've spoken to has NEVER heard of this problem, so they just give me fixes that don't really apply..) has sent me a new (well, reconditioned "like new") phone. I'm not sure how that will solve the problem, but it does seem to only happen to certain phones, even of the same brand. Maybe I'll get lucky with this one and won't have to worry about messages intended for adult friends to go to my child! Not that I'm sending ultra sensitive material, but come on, do YOU speak to everyone you know in exactly the same generic manner? Or is it possible that you might make a joke that one person would find funny but another (such as your mom..) might not? SO - not sure if the Fascinate boards would have anything different to say, but I'll check. Has anyone had this problem resolved, however, by being sent a replacement (same brand as the one having trouble) phone? **Also - this isn't me bashing or blaming the carrier. This an Android forum, I have an Android phone, lots of other Android owners have had this problem and I'm trying to find resolution. I don't care WHO is causing the problem, I just want to know how to fix it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones