• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

THE $10 ADD-ON IS JUST FOR THE 59.99 DATA PLANS, and NOT the 69.99 Everything plan.

I know everyone is wigging out over the $10 surcharge, but isn't Sprint's data plan still cheaper than Verizon's? I mean this is the way our society works. You don't get things for free. I'm glad Sprint is coming out with a decent phone and the extra $10 isn't quite that big of a deal. Well, I know my comments aren't going to go over well. That's ok.

You know, you DON'T have to get the phone. Problem solved!

Upvote 0
I'm hearing otherwise from retentions. It is not mandatory.

Even if it was, it's still loads better than any other carrier offers. Why's everyone putting a baby tantrum?

I hope you right. I understand the fee if you are in a 4G area, because them towers ain't cheap, but if you in a 3G area then I think thats not right since you can't take full advantage of the so called "rich experience".

Upvote 0
sigh. I didn't factor in the $240, so it is essentially a $440 phone. however, this is a very smart move by Sprint, it kind of reminds me of the TMobile financing plan.

Only if you keep it for two years.... Ever since Sprint Premier... Longest I keep a phone is 11 months lol.

And it seems we are unsure if this is mandatory or not. And many of us have discounts through sprint, so it wouldn't be a full $10 anyways

Upvote 0
this place is about to meltdown. the $10 bucks extra shouldn't be a big deal in the end, but that it still appears to be unclear what on earth is going on is really being mishandled by Sprint, so they deserve criticism, and Hesse never should have implied that 4G would be a part of the current plan.

Upvote 0
i really don't care about the $10, that is fine, but the $29.95 for the hotspot is kind of annoying, at that point it is almost worth the connivence just to get the overdrive so that i am not draining the battery on my phone... but at the same time i will probably end up rooting the phone and installing a 3rd party hotspot app...

this is really the first sprint phone i have ever been excited for (and the first really cool phone they have really had) and there is no way i am giving it up because of a $10 fee!

Upvote 0
This is pretty crazy. All the carrier's data plans are $30 at the moment. Not only that but Clearwire's own basic plan is $30 a month as well. Sprint is now asking for $40 a month (a 25% premium) for this priviledge.

At this point I'm likely not going to purchase this phone. If I can get it without 4G then perhaps but what really kills me is why they disguise this price increase as a "Mandatory Premium Fee".

And I though the Airline industry was bad...

Upvote 0
I really see no reason why everyone is causing such an uproar about an extra $10/month. Sprint isn't forcing you to pay the $10. Its simple, if you do not want to pay the extra $10 then the Evo is not for you. If $10 a month is going to put you over your budget then you should reconsider your decision to purchase a new phone, as that may be the least of your problems.

I am not trying to be cold or argumentative, I am only trying to calm the fervor over such a trivial matter. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones