• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Droid only has (MAX) 256 MB User storage.

So....can anyone confirm that this is still a limitation with Android 2.0?

This happens to be an enormous issue for me because I rely on medical apps like Epocrates...the Essentials version can run several hundred megabytes. I know that Epocrates has said they'll have Android support by year's end...but if this is actually still a limitation, then the program will likely be crippled.
I'd assume like others have said about other programs with a lot of data associated with them, that the program would be installed on the phone and all the data could be stored on the SD card for the program to access. Surely they wouldn't even bother working on an Android version if they thought hundreds of megabytes of data would have to be trimmed away.

Upvote 0
Want some help?

Whoever decided that "ROM" is an appropriate name for the dynamically updateable flash memory where apps are stored, is an idiot. It should be called internal storage, internal flash, onboard flash, or even nvram, but not ROM. Something called ROM should not writeable at all by normal user processes.

I'm thinking it's a convention that stuck from the early smartphones like the early treos or probably more lilley even the OLD windows CE PDA's. If i recall back then they had ROM or maybe PROM's (Programable ROMS) and RAM. (probabably actually they were EEPROM's if I'm reading wiki right- seems a 'true PROM' are the old ones that had the glass window that you had to erase with a specific light source- EEPROM's seem to describe the one's that can get "unlocked" or erased by applying a voltage to a certain pin)

Later on when affordable NVRAM came into being that took over and there was no need to use a PROM with their issues.

That sound about right to any of the "old timers"?

Upvote 0
I'd assume like others have said about other programs with a lot of data associated with them, that the program would be installed on the phone and all the data could be stored on the SD card for the program to access. Surely they wouldn't even bother working on an Android version if they thought hundreds of megabytes of data would have to be trimmed away.

I'm an android newbie too but that makes comeplete sense since prehistoric palmOS (not the new webos) and old as dirt windows mobile can both do that just fine. (both can install the "thinking part" of the application on device with data on the SD card)

Upvote 0
I'm thinking it's a convention that stuck from the early smartphones like the early treos or probably more lilley even the OLD windows CE PDA's. If i recall back then they had ROM or maybe PROM's (Programable ROMS) and RAM. (probabably actually they were EEPROM's if I'm reading wiki right- seems a 'true PROM' are the old ones that had the glass window that you had to erase with a specific light source- EEPROM's seem to describe the one's that can get "unlocked" or erased by applying a voltage to a certain pin)

Later on when affordable NVRAM came into being that took over and there was no need to use a PROM with their issues.

That sound about right to any of the "old timers"?

It sounds peachy to me - but the naming convention should not have been updated. If they were EEPROMs, then call them EEPROMs. If it is NVRAM, call it NVRAM. If it is true ROM then, and only then, call it ROM.

I'm an android newbie too but that makes comeplete sense since prehistoric palmOS (not the new webos) and old as dirt windows mobile can both do that just fine. (both can install the "thinking part" of the application on device with data on the SD card)

True, but there was a lot less of the 'sharing' going on then as there is now, and the effort to protect software developers was virtually nil back then - if you were a software dev and you wanted your stuff protected, you made it shareware....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones