• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The first time the EVO has disappointed me.

ktulu909

May 31, 2010
I finally scored an HDMI cable from a sprint store and cant get anything to work on either my 32" vizio or my 22" insignia.Tried rebooting (rebooting with the cable plugged into the phone locks it up at the white HTC screen,have to remove battery) and still nothing.

The vizio does nothing at all,and the insignia will remove the "No Signal" from the screen for about 5 seconds and revert back to no signal.The phone does nothing at all.Show absolutely no effects of even seeing the cable.Anyone have anything else I can try?

From what I've read, you can watch videos with it (duh) but it skips the first few seconds of any video... So until you launch a video, you won't have anything on screen...

The only OTHER thing you can do with it is YouTube app... Again, it only shows up after you start the video...

Unless I'm missing something...

Upvote 0
Loaded up the video player with a converted version of avatar(I used the settings from the handbrake thread)

3 minuted I watched the movie and nothing.Same situation.If I unpluged the cable from the phone and reinserted it,the "no signal" on the tv goes away for about 5 seconds only to pop back up.I tried the same in both HDMI ports on both TVs with the same results.Should the phone do anything to acknowledge that I plugged the cable in?I guess first thing is to return the cable and try a new one.If that dont work,Ill take the cable and phone to best buy and plug into some of their TVs.If that yeilds nothing,I suppose I have a broken phone.

Damn it.

Upvote 0
Well,swapped the cord and tried a TV at radio shack and still a no go.Looks like I have to exchange.Anyone else have any suggestions to try?

Did you try going to Gallery and then doing a slide show? I can't get video I loaded to play nor Youtube. My Samsung 61" 1080p TV just displays format not supported. Slide Shows work and video I record in 720 p work as well. I did get video I side loaded to work on a Toshiba 1080p LCD I have at my office but it looks like crap

Upvote 0
I've seen TVs not recognize many things plugged into hdmi outputs, ps3, blue ray players, DVRs etc. Resetting the tv fixes it usually. Try unplugging the tv and plugging it back in with the EVO plugged into it. Many people never think about resetting their tv but it works.

I realize that some tvs don't recognize the EVO or vise versa but it's worth a try.

Upvote 0
Sounds like Sprint has a major issue on their hands with these EVOs and HDMI... It's only working for like 50% of the EVO population who's tried it. NOT GOOD!!

I'm in the same boat as you: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/104059-got-my-hdmi-cable-but-no-workie.html

:( :( :( :( :( :(

I'm thinking it is some driver type issue which is crashing as soon as it is plugged in. I don't know if it's because I'm rooted or some app I installed is conflicting (don't have many)... *shrug*

Upvote 0
Mine has never said HDMI at the top, but I expected it to as shown in this video:

YouTube - Hands-on HDMI out with the Sprint EVO

OK so now that is 3 of us stating some crash/freeze-like symptoms. This is why I said I think it's the SW not the HW (phone/cable/tvs). I think there is some issue perhaps with HDCP and it is causing the SW on the phone to crash. I only wish I knew where to look (I'm rooted via unrEVOked). When I reboot it begins acting funky again so I know the service is back up and running after a reboot, but after it crashes, you can tell it isn't running until you reboot the phone again. I am going to try with another monitor and also I talked to Sprint and I'm heading in there this week when they get more HDMI cables in stock and have a technician on site. :)

Edit: I just tried another Samsung TV which had HDMI input - neither have worked now. I couldn't even get it to detect/hang like it did before, so maybe it is a bad port or bad cable or something?

Edit2: I got a working cable from Sprint: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/106539-hdmi-amzer-vs-sprint-cable.html#post986876

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones