• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Foodies Corner

breadnatty08

pain rustique
Nov 8, 2009
Hey all, wanted to start a place for everyone to hang out and talk about food!
Share a recipe, fun restaurant, cooking techniques anything about food :D
My wife and I are HUGE foodies, it's where the bulk of our income goes to. We love dining out in fancy places as much as possible. I can't remember the last birthday of ours where we gifted eachother outside of a nice meal :)
We also both work in the industry; I'm a chef and she is a sales assistant for a catering company.
Anyway, share away! :beer:

Okay, Dreadnatty, I'll get this started with a recipe I came up with that I thought I'd never share. IF you share it, please give credit where credit is due ;)

PERFECT OATMEAL
Feeds four people

How do most people eat oatmeal? They cook it... then they put butter, sugar, milk and cinnamon on top and stir it around. Some bites get a lot of the good stuff, and other bites are just... oatmeal. So what I did was come up with a recipe to cook all that stuff INTO the oatmeal so every bite is consistently delicious. Here we go:

3 Cups of 1-minute oatmeal
2 cups milk
3 cups water
1/2 cup sugar (if that turns out too sweet for you, try 1/3)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 cup cinnamon
4 tablespoons butter

PLEASE don't chintz out here and use margarine, spread or some kind of butter substitute! It's important that you use REAL COW BUTTER here and I'll tell you why in a minute.

Mix the water, milk, salt and sugar in a pan or pot until dissolved, and then put it on high heat. Add the butter to melt and then the cinnamon to cover the surface. When the butter is melted stir it all up really well so the butter and cinnamon bond together. What you're going to end up with is a pan full of what looks like cappucino.

While we're waiting for it to heat, here's why you want to use BUTTER:

The butter and cinnamon bond and float on the surface to create a thermal layer that helps "superheat" the liquid underneath. This heats the mixture faster so you can eat sooner :)

This is also a good time to set a timer for six minutes, thirty seconds. If you have an over-the-stove microwave with a kitchen timer function, perfect. If not, your phone may have a stopwatch app on it you can use. Any way you do it, set it for 6:30.

Don't let this stuff boil vigorously! As soon as the boil breaks the surface, add the oatmeal and start the timer. Reduce heat to medium and stir constantly for one and a half minutes in a figure eight pattern to mix the oatmeal and the mixture together thoroughly.

At the 5-minute mark, STOP STIRRING, cover, remove from heat and let it set for five minutes. This is when the magic happens: all that good stuff that you usually put ON the oatmeal is now absorbing INTO the oatmeal, ensuring consistency and deliciousness from the first bite to the last.

When the five minutes are up, your PERFECT OATMEAL is ready to serve.

ENJOY! :D

Upvote 0
Well, since it's morning, anyone want to share a favorite breakfast dish? Saturdays are one of the few days I get to spend with the wife so we nearly always go out for brunch. DC is big on brunch so we have a lot of options.
Last great dish I had was at a place called Granville Moore's. It's a tiny Belgian style pub with a huge beer list and great food. It was actually featured on Throwdown with Bobby Flay on the FN. It was a battle of mussels and GM actually beat him!
Anyway, the dish was called The Good Doctor. It was essentially a beast of a sandwich composed of choice of meat/sausage (I got the veggie sausage), chipotle mayo, cheese, avocado and scrambled eggs. It was HUGE but so delicious. Comes with a side of handcut fries (or frites) tossed with plenty of salt and parsley. Delicious.

Upvote 0
Wife and I had something basic we hadn't had in forever: Alfredo sauce. Were at some family friend's house last night and it was pasta night. Love it on a cold night. :)
We often have catering orders where the client wants chicken Alfredo pasta. I always roll my eyes but love making that sauce. It is pretty delicious. :D

Upvote 0
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I thought for a minute I was in the taboo thread lol.

Today I'm slow smoking some ribs. Rubbed them down last night and put them on the smoker at 7 this morning. I just finished making some potato salad like my mom made. Instant potato based lol. Not that bad actually. Dinner at five folks.

Sounds really good, that does!! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones