• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Hero and Moment will not be getting 2.2! Sprint Twitter

Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure Sprint doesn't make any money selling hardware. In fact, they lose it. The only way that Sprint is the cause is if they plan on slapping the new $10 premium data fee on all future Android phones, which would make forcing upgrades profitable.

I suspect this is Samsung saying they don't want to put anymore resources into a phone that is nearly obsolete.

Also, I sure hope Sprint gets a Motorola Android phone soon.

Nearly obsolete? This hasn't been out but 8 months or so. I hardly call that obsolete.

Upvote 0
Nearly obsolete? This hasn't been out but 8 months or so. I hardly call that obsolete.

Time has nothing to do with the obsolescence of electronic hardware or software.

When you can no longer buy this phone in a retail store, and it is no longer supported with software updates or serious tech support (soon, if you break it they will not give you another one, you'll be forced into a new phone) then the phone is obsolete.

It's kind of sad that the Moment didn't make it at least 2 years before hitting EoL. I really like mine, in spite of its quirks.

Upvote 0
This is news?
We're known as "the Consumer", remember. Can't have you planning on jumping ship, now that we've got you on contract.

"You want 2.2? Sure, we've got great great deals! Anything for one of our loyal customers!.. Just sign this new contract..."

C'est la vie, as long as the contract system rules.

Upvote 0
Emo if you root your phone can u let me know how it goes I'm thinking of doing my phone and my husbands moment

Rootings very easy. I would highly recommend this rom. If you updated your phone you're already familiar with the updater (if not, here's a link). All you need to do is replace the .tar file in C:\Program Files\Samsung Electronics\SWUpgrade with the downloaded .tar file then run the updater. After the updater has done its thing and the phone has rebooted, follow the directions in noobnl's thread (first link) to put the phone in recovery and flash his rom. The first flash via the updater will wipe your phone, but subsiquent updates via recovery won't. If you want to back up your programs and data before the install, you can find advice around here. Personaly, I bite the bullet and reinstall everything from scratch. There's a free program called App Dragon in the market that will email you a list of all your installed programs for easy reinstall if you like.

noobnl's rom already contains some froyo (2.2) files and is significantly faster than the stock 2.1 you're running now.

Upvote 0
Rootings very easy. I would highly recommend this rom. If you updated your phone you're already familiar with the updater (if not, here's a link). All you need to do is replace the .tar file in C:\Program Files\Samsung Electronics\SWUpgrade with the downloaded .tar file then run the updater. After the updater has done its thing and the phone has rebooted, follow the directions in noobnl's thread (first link) to put the phone in recovery and flash his rom. The first flash via the updater will wipe your phone, but subsiquent updates via recovery won't. If you want to back up your programs and data before the install, you can find advice around here. Personaly, I bite the bullet and reinstall everything from scratch. There's a free program called App Dragon in the market that will email you a list of all your installed programs for easy reinstall if you like.

noobnl's rom already contains some froyo (2.2) files and is significantly faster than the stock 2.1 you're running now.

i was just about to come on here and whine about how i am scared to root and mount customs. i still have so many questions like will i lose my imobsters info? if i F my phone is the insurance voided? if so does sprint cover 'Losses' in its insurance? also how long will it take? whats the best roms to use. can i get a rom that only takes SOME bloatware off (i want to keep sprint tv and the email client and im app (for aim))

im not a stupid person. i know that. just very cautious when stepping into unknown waters.

but THANK YOU pasta for your post. it makes the instructions seem WAY less intimidating than having to partition my sd card and all this other stuff.

Reactions: pastafarian
Upvote 0
when you apply the initial de03 update, the phone will be wiped clean so you will need to back up or write down any personal data. You will be able to get back any paid aps in the market after you sign back on with your Google acct. If you totally brick your phone (highly unlikely) they won't be able to tell what you did because the phone is dead. If the flash goes wrong, there's many ways to fix things and you'll find plenty of helphere or at SDX. If you updated your Moment to 2.1, you've already done the hardest part of rooting. Once you get past having to use the updater the first time, flashing from recovery is a breeze If I see a new rom has been posted, it takes all of 5 min to d/l it and flash it. You can use the sdx rom builder to make a custom rom or to add back any of the things that a pre made custom rom like noobnl's rom removes by deselecting everything but those items you want. Then you d/l the zip file to your sd card and install it via recovery just like flashing flashing any rom. Tonight, I think noobnl's rom with the meatcurtain kernal, froyo jit and samdroid opengl is top dog, but that could change tomorrow.

Upvote 0
The Intercept has the same CPU as the Moment and will be getting the 2.2 (FroYo) update in the near future (Sept. IIRC). This should allow developers to easily port 2.2 over to the Moment after the Intercept update is released...

so only have to wait about another week for a 2.2? ::gets excited::

btw live wallpaper is KEWL!!! (sry, had to dork out for a moment)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones